AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quotes in a user's SEARCH TERMS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, AdWords newbie here... do quotes in a user's SEARCH TERMS (their query) affect the way ads are displayed in the paid search results?   For example, if a user types in:

Miami "air conditioner" "repair"

into google will the PAID SEARCH ads (order and result set) differ when they enter:

Miami air conditioner repair

without the quotes? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quotes in a user's SEARCH TERMS

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Obviously, the keywords and match types you have will affect when your ads are served.

By the same token, the way someone searches will (or should) affect which of your keywords gets triggered. How, I'm not sure.

For normal searches, that is a "broad" search (no quotes) which most people use, it's easy to see what keywords would be triggered to show your ads.

But I never considered what would happen in your example. Google has some rules to handle those cases but what they are, I can only speculate. And those rules would surely be different if someone searches

miami "air conditioner repair"

instead of your double-quoted search example. Would not be an issue for a broad-match keyword. So if your keyword is the broad "miami air conditioner repair", it could be triggered on that keyword.

Best guess and most logical to me: any terms inside quotes are treated as a term of its own. So only the phrase match "air conditioner" would trigger your ad.

Maybe the system takes two consecutive quoted terms and treats as one. Therefore, that part becomes "air conditioner repair" and would trigger your ad on that keyword in phrase match, if you have it.

I'm pretty sure any non alphabetic characters are stripped and replaced with a space. I see evidence of that in Adwords reports such as dashes, common in model numbers.

I recall that directives are not removed, at least they didn't use to be. For instance, something I use often myself:

term site:thatsite.com

would be converted to

term site thatsite com

to be considered for showing ads. In other words, it may be a good thing to have site, date and other directives as negative keywords.

These types of searches are rare so not usually something to worry about. But it is interesting and a good thought experiment: how does Google handle this?

Re: Quotes in a user's SEARCH TERMS

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Garrett G,

Google ignores most punctuation and even spaces in the search query. Miami "air conditioner" "repair" and Miami air conditioner repair are functionally equivalent in both organic search and in AdWords as a search query.

Besides, there's no way for you to enter Miami "air conditioner" "repair" as a keyword. Embedded quotes in the keyword is not allowed. You can not mix match types in a keyword, that would combine the broad match term, Miami, with phrase match terms "air conditioner", and "repair". That is not allowed.

The proper way for a phrase match would be "Miami air conditioner repair". That would require all those words in that order in the search query for your ad to be eligible. You could also use BMM keyword: +Miami +air +conditioner +repair. Then your ad would be eligible for any query including all those words in any order. Exact match: [Miami air conditioner repair], your ad would be eligible for that exact query only. I'd suggest you use all 3 match types and monitor the performance. Run search terms reports on the BMM and phrase match keywords to find out what triggered your ad. Add negative keywords as appropriate.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords