Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quick account assessment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Say that you are seeing an AdWords account for the first time and you only have 15 minutes or so to analyse it and have an general idea about budget, performance, ROI, areas where they are missing out, etc.

Which would be the key things you would look at and in which order?

Thank you

N.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noel H
September 2015

Re: Quick account assessment

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Really nice question Noel and I look forward to the answers.

There are a ton of things to look at, and 15 minutes is really only scratching the surface. But to get a rough idea within limited time I would look at some basic metrics and graphs and then look into the areas that are usually over looked yet in my opinion are some of the strongest areas for staying above the curve.

So I would look at overall account performance for all time, switching through the various KPI's to get an idea of spend/CPC/CPA/CTR over time. I would then look at the keyword level and see the QS of the top 10/20 spenders and that will tell me a lot about account optimisation levels. I would then scroll down and see how many neg keywords they have and at what level those neg keywords are at.I would also look at how many keywords there are and try and get a rough idea of match typing strategy in the account.

I would then look at extensions, remarketing, conversion tracking, ads in that order. With ads I want to look at testing strategies and the actual creatives to get an idea of what they are doing with their ads.

If I have time left I would get my hands on a SQR for the last month or 2 and spend the remaining time looking through that to get an idea of how well structured the account is, how much room for optimisations there are and a number of other insights I could get from the report.

I have a sinking feeling I have left out something rather vital. But I am sure someone else will point it out.

It does also help knowing the interface really well as that will shave valuable time off the analysis if you are performing it as a test or something.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noel H
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Really nice question Noel and I look forward to the answers.

There are a ton of things to look at, and 15 minutes is really only scratching the surface. But to get a rough idea within limited time I would look at some basic metrics and graphs and then look into the areas that are usually over looked yet in my opinion are some of the strongest areas for staying above the curve.

So I would look at overall account performance for all time, switching through the various KPI's to get an idea of spend/CPC/CPA/CTR over time. I would then look at the keyword level and see the QS of the top 10/20 spenders and that will tell me a lot about account optimisation levels. I would then scroll down and see how many neg keywords they have and at what level those neg keywords are at.I would also look at how many keywords there are and try and get a rough idea of match typing strategy in the account.

I would then look at extensions, remarketing, conversion tracking, ads in that order. With ads I want to look at testing strategies and the actual creatives to get an idea of what they are doing with their ads.

If I have time left I would get my hands on a SQR for the last month or 2 and spend the remaining time looking through that to get an idea of how well structured the account is, how much room for optimisations there are and a number of other insights I could get from the report.

I have a sinking feeling I have left out something rather vital. But I am sure someone else will point it out.

It does also help knowing the interface really well as that will shave valuable time off the analysis if you are performing it as a test or something.

Hope this helps

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hi Noel,

15 minutes is not a lot and a good assessment needs a lot more time. But with only 15 minutes I'd probably only look at areas that can have a large potential (or that you often find in bad shape):

• Is budget a limiting factor
  • Is account structure optimal (how are campaigns & adgroups structured)
  • Is targeting (country/city, languages, network,  ...) according to expectations
  • Are all relevant ad extensions in place
  • Are there multiple ads per adgroup and how's ad rotation set up
  • Are there negative keywords in place
  • Get a general idea on the keyword quality scores

Metrics like CTR, Conversion rate, Cost/Conversion, ROI, ... can require quite a bit of analysis to see if they're at acceptable levels or not so there is probably no time for that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ken, really good advice.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Clinton, this is all really useful.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could help!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Noel H

Excellent points so far from Clynton M.

Aside from all recommended so far, here are 5 additional Tips.

1- Device! Where the campaigns are receiving traffic from? This may be a very simple observation that can transform a campaign all the way from ad relevance to conversion.

2- It may also be a good idea to look at the change history of the account, to examine how often optimizations are made to the account. This is often an interesting insight as to how much is going on, especially if matched to the top 3 ad groups and perhaps the 10/20 kw spenders depending on the size of the account. All this in 15 minutes, yes . It will only take a few minutes to see the extent of activity here.

3- My second recommendation, although strictly speaking within AdWords itself, would be useful to view what destination URL’s are in use and the quality of the landing pages. There may be some easy wins here that don’t need much tweaking to see a visible improvement in campaign performance. An interesting discussion can be found here, regarding landing page optimisation https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Tips-to-Improve-Landing-Page-Optimization/ba-p...

4- If you have time, I recommend you a run a 404 error search. I have seen a few cases where the page itself no longer exists and this of course will affect campaign performance and ROI.

5- I may look at what use is being made of labels, and the shared library. I have often found at times some accounts overdo the shared library and as a consequence, QS can suffer.

These tips are in addition to the previous comments and hope they may help.

I fear it may be a mad 15 minute dash of your account 

James Edward