AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Questions on the basics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I've set up my account and a single campaign. Still trying to get my head around all of this.  The one ad I have is for a plumbing & heating business (a plumber) and I've limited the ad geographically to a 25 mile radius of his location.

Setting this up, I had a $100 trial code so that was by starting money. I set a $7 a day budget for no great reason other than to see what it can do. He lives on a smallish city and wasn't sure how competitive this would be.

The ad has been up and running for about three weeks now. We get between 1k and 2k impressions, and always 2 clicks a day. Not sure if he is getting calls from these clicks or not.

Yesterday I got the "Limited by budget" message. Not sure what to think of this. Of course, Google would rather I spend $14 a day..and I might increase the budget but I'm curious to see if I can manipulate the ad & keywords to reduce the required bids? Or is this a waste of time?

Questions:

1. What exactly is a good quality score? I've got 4/10 and 3/10 for most of my keywords. I'd like to increase this. Diagnostics tell me my landingpage is average, but my expected clickthrough rate is below average on my lower scores.

2. How many keywords per ad? I've got a very basic ad "Bla Bla Plumbing Heating. Family run plumbing & heating service at a fair price. " For this ad, I've got 15 keywords set up. Too many? 

3. What would a realistic budget be? For many of the keywords, I'm below the first page bid estimate. Most est. first page bids are $8 - $13. Should I just pay more, or can I be more specific with keywords somehow to help my quality score.  I'd love to just increase the daily budget, but can't help but to try to make this more efficient. Is $500 a month typical for a small service oriented business? Is getting results from $200 a month asking too much?

4. Would I be better of running two ads, each more specific..say one for PLUMBING and one for HEATING? The website landing page is general with the two combined.

5. Extensions. I've got the business telephone number as an extension. We've got just 64 impressions and 1 click over the last seven days. Why not more?

6. Geography keywords. I've got a keyword for "plumber kittery" (the town he lives in). Since the ad is restricted to a 25 mile radius is this necessary?

Thanks! Lots going on here.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Questions on the basics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1. What exactly is a good quality score? - Good Quality Scores are 7 and up

2. How many keywords per ad? - I would try to stick with around 10 to a max of 20 keywords per ad group.  The idea is to create groups around a keyword theme and usually by 20 keywords you find yourself breaking the theme and needing a new group.

3. What would a realistic budget be? - Oh boy you really want to know that? Smiley Happy  I have a client is plumbing and HVAC in a competitive market and they can easily spend 800-1000.00 daily.  Their average CPC's can be $40.00 on plumbing and up to $70.00 on HVAC.

4. Would I be better of running two ads, each more specific..say one for PLUMBING and one for HEATING? YES!  and even better would be ad groups like a. plumbing services b. plumbers in ...  c. toilet repair  d. sewer line repair  e. rooter services, etc. the idea is when someone is looking for a specific thing you show them ads that really match up i.e. create relevance between the keywords and ads.

5. Extensions. I've got the business telephone number as an extension. We've got just 64 impressions and 1 click over the last seven days. Why not more? The phone extensions are not big servers for smaller impression keywords.  It is normal.  As you add more diversity into your keyword lists then you will see this improve.  Try putting the phone number directly in line 2 or 3 of your ads.

6. Geography keywords. I've got a keyword for "plumber kittery" (the town he lives in). Since the ad is restricted to a 25 mile radius is this necessary? Yes!  If that is what people will type as a search query have it in an adgroup all for Kittery.  i.e. keywords and ad text about "Plumber in Kittery".  This helps people identify with the ads much better.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

1. What exactly is a good quality score? - Good Quality Scores are 7 and up

2. How many keywords per ad? - I would try to stick with around 10 to a max of 20 keywords per ad group.  The idea is to create groups around a keyword theme and usually by 20 keywords you find yourself breaking the theme and needing a new group.

3. What would a realistic budget be? - Oh boy you really want to know that? Smiley Happy  I have a client is plumbing and HVAC in a competitive market and they can easily spend 800-1000.00 daily.  Their average CPC's can be $40.00 on plumbing and up to $70.00 on HVAC.

4. Would I be better of running two ads, each more specific..say one for PLUMBING and one for HEATING? YES!  and even better would be ad groups like a. plumbing services b. plumbers in ...  c. toilet repair  d. sewer line repair  e. rooter services, etc. the idea is when someone is looking for a specific thing you show them ads that really match up i.e. create relevance between the keywords and ads.

5. Extensions. I've got the business telephone number as an extension. We've got just 64 impressions and 1 click over the last seven days. Why not more? The phone extensions are not big servers for smaller impression keywords.  It is normal.  As you add more diversity into your keyword lists then you will see this improve.  Try putting the phone number directly in line 2 or 3 of your ads.

6. Geography keywords. I've got a keyword for "plumber kittery" (the town he lives in). Since the ad is restricted to a 25 mile radius is this necessary? Yes!  If that is what people will type as a search query have it in an adgroup all for Kittery.  i.e. keywords and ad text about "Plumber in Kittery".  This helps people identify with the ads much better.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Oh let me not forget.

Plumbing and HVAC keywords have notoriously low QS for many advertisers.  Don't get too hung up on the QS but do watch it.  The idea is to keep working on the click through rate to show Google that you have a good setup.  The higher the CTR the better because it means that your keywords and ad copy are relevant to eachother.  

Realistic budget is not $7.00 a day or even $14.00 a day for a plumbing/HVAC company - even in a small town.  I think realistically you need to set a budget of $200.00 daily and up the bids to at least $20.00 per click for now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Kim. I appreciate your time. I have a lot to learn!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

In addition to Kim's great (as usual) advice, let me point out that 1-2 clicks for 1k-2k impressions isn't good. 

I'd need to know what audience(s) you're serving (Google, Display network, or both?) to be able to suggest the kind of CTR you should be looking for. Certainly, your ads on the search networks should have a CTR of 5% or better. It sounds to me as though, right now, you're serving too much traffic to people uninterested in what you're selling.

For starters let me suggest that if you're using a lot of Broad match keywords, you might want to mine your Search Term reports for specific terms you can add as Phrase or Exact match, allowing you to pause the high-traffic/low-click Broad match.

The trade-off for that is that the clicks on these more focused, more specific keywords can be more competitive and more expensive, of course, so since budget is clearly a concern, I suggest you consider at least switching from Broad match keywords to Modified Broad match.

At the very least, mine your keyword reports and pause any keywords getting a lot of traffic and no clicks. (Or, move those to separate Ad Groups and try different messaging--that can work exceptionally well for low-performance keywords but the catch is that you have to have the budget to actually serve those ads. Without money to support clicks for what you're doing, you're better off pausing the low-performance keywords, at least for now.)

As for your click volume, I agree with Kim there. It's a pricey market and a campaign with a budget of $7/day is going to struggle. I assume you're using Ad Extensions, including the Location Extension option, to boost the campaign's "local" presence?

Just curious--your post makes it sound like you're managing this account for someone else, like a client?  Is this your first experience with AdWords?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*