AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Questions about my approach on a low budget ad campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am running a campaign for a client with an initial low monthly ad budget ($500 per month). Can you let me know if you think I'm approaching this correctly or where I could do even better. 

I will try and be detailed but please let me know if I left out any key info you need to better judge my approach. 

Some details on the client: They are based in South Africa. Their product sells for around $7000. They want to target clients in South Africa, Germany, Netherlands, UK.

I create a Campaign (Search only) with one Ad Group. The Ad Group contains 3 variations of the same ad. One ad is the control. In one ad I change the headline only. In the other I change the body only. I then select 35 max keywords for this campaign. I select manual bidding and use Keyword Planner to determine the cost for keywords this budget can afford to target. I then use broad match and the maximum Negative Keyword list. I then check this Campaign after two days to look for words that was not searched for compared to those that were searched for. I then kill off the terms that was not used and add some more new keywords and again check after 2 days to repeat the process.

My questions:

1. Is this >> a potential mistake? I added 138 geographical locations which is basically the main cities in these 4 countries with a population above 100,000.
  2. At what stage should I start using other match types?
  3. Can and should I use more than one Ad Group at this stage? If I do, should I make sure to use different Keywords in these other Ad Groups instead of the same ones already in the first Ad Group? 
  4. Similar to the above question... Should I use different Keywords in different ads within the same Ad Group? I ask the 2 questions above because I'm not sure I understand the issue of duplicate keywords and competing against myself which apparently can increase my CPC, etc
  5. Is there a formula for deciding on which Keywords to pick for an Ad Budget as low as the above one? Do I go for long tail keywords in order to have a lower CPC? Also, I guess it's best to obviously make sure these long tail keywords actually get searched for on a daily basis.

Please let me know if you need additional info or clarification. Thanks for any input you provide. It really helps Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Questions about my approach on a low budget ad campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi John
Some great questions there. We manage similar accounts (low-ish budget with low volume, high ticket items).

I think the approach that you're taking WAS correct. Or at least IS correct for now. How we do it is that we use the broad match strategy that you're using until we get a list of CONVERTING keywords. We then break those keywords out into their own campaign (a "converters" campaign and use a single exact match keyword per adgroup. We then go super targeted with the ad extensions. Of course, we add the exact match keyword from each ad group to the more general broad batch campaign (and other adgroups in the new campaign). Essentially, we're going for one keyword per adgroup.

To answer your questions:

1) Not necessarily. However, you may want to expand it, even temporarily to see if you're missing conversions.Only you can really answer this.

2) For us, as soon as you start getting conversions.

3) As above.

4) as above.

5) This is, again, up to you. Google only last month changed the way it "appears" to handle low volume and new keywords. If there's a low volume of these keywords, you may have to make them broader matched. Again, it's up to you how you handle it. If the broad match keywords are generating little volume, you might have to stay with broad match. You might also want to consider going a bit broader with your keyword choices rather than deeper.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi John
Some great questions there. We manage similar accounts (low-ish budget with low volume, high ticket items).

I think the approach that you're taking WAS correct. Or at least IS correct for now. How we do it is that we use the broad match strategy that you're using until we get a list of CONVERTING keywords. We then break those keywords out into their own campaign (a "converters" campaign and use a single exact match keyword per adgroup. We then go super targeted with the ad extensions. Of course, we add the exact match keyword from each ad group to the more general broad batch campaign (and other adgroups in the new campaign). Essentially, we're going for one keyword per adgroup.

To answer your questions:

1) Not necessarily. However, you may want to expand it, even temporarily to see if you're missing conversions.Only you can really answer this.

2) For us, as soon as you start getting conversions.

3) As above.

4) as above.

5) This is, again, up to you. Google only last month changed the way it "appears" to handle low volume and new keywords. If there's a low volume of these keywords, you may have to make them broader matched. Again, it's up to you how you handle it. If the broad match keywords are generating little volume, you might have to stay with broad match. You might also want to consider going a bit broader with your keyword choices rather than deeper.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dave. Thanks for a great answer. I implemented accordingly. Will see what the results turn out to be.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi John.
Thanks for the reply. It would be great if you could share some results and experiences! It's an area of AdWords that doesn't get talked about much and I'd love to share ideas as it's particularly awkward and difficult to get results of tests quickly.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Another tip for high ticket items is to start investigating touch points earlier in the buying cycle. Buying guides are great and video reviews and advice can go a long way. You can reach them later in the buying cycle with video remarketing and RSLAs. Hope that helps.