3.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Questions about Upgraded URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I read this article (http://adwords.blogspot.jp/2015/02/get-faster-and-easier-url-tracking-with.html) and have 2 questions.

1. Why is {lpurl} parameter neccessary for tracking template?
In the tracking tool I use, I don't have to put a final url to a redirect url because my tool has a list of creative parameters and final urls.

2. If users click my ads, do they really redirect tracking urls?
I'm afraid that ad clicks and conversions aren't connected in my tracking tool.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gkLUrw5H
September 2015

Re: Questions about Upgraded URLs

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hey,

1. You are not required to have {lpurl} in your ad, keywords or sitelinks tracking template.
We recommend to use shared tracking template where the {lpurl} is required but it seems that your tracking tool does not support this yet so you can not use the shared tracking template and here is what you need to do:

Ad Tracking template: http://trackingtool.com/rd?creativeid=12345
Ad Final URL: List of all possible final URLs your tool can redirect the user to. (you can use the API, AdWords scripts or bulk upload to specify multiple final URLs).

Important note: if you use sitelinks, you also need to specify a sitelink tracking template.

If you do not, the sitelink will inherit the tracking template of the ad, but as this one does not uses {lpurl}, your sitelink would not work.

If there is a tracking template, this is what we will use in the ad, so the user should still be clicking on the same thing and you will keep your tracking intact.

I'm not sure where you heard bout the 2 clicks part but this is not correct.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You're questions are slightly unclear. Can you give us an example of what a current text ad URL looks like for you?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for replying. Sorry for unclear questions.

About first question
For example,

And the tracking tool's specification is below.

• If a user accesses this tracking url, the server(trackingtool.com) checks [creativeid]'s value and redirects to a  final url according to this value.
  • In redirecting, parameters except [creativeid] pass through.

So if it is neccessary to put tracking templates to {lpurl}, a final url wiil look strange.

So, my first question is below.
Is there any way not to put {lpurl} in tracking templates?

About second question
By this update, Google can know final URLs. I guess the following case.

• If users click ads, they go the final url directly.
  • Google makes clicks to tracking urls as if users clicks them.

In this case if users buy some products in my web site, I can't know whether they clicks ads in the tracking tool.

So, my second question is below.
If users click my ads, do they really go to the tracking url (not the final url directly)?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gkLUrw5H
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hey,

1. You are not required to have {lpurl} in your ad, keywords or sitelinks tracking template.
We recommend to use shared tracking template where the {lpurl} is required but it seems that your tracking tool does not support this yet so you can not use the shared tracking template and here is what you need to do:

Ad Tracking template: http://trackingtool.com/rd?creativeid=12345
Ad Final URL: List of all possible final URLs your tool can redirect the user to. (you can use the API, AdWords scripts or bulk upload to specify multiple final URLs).

Important note: if you use sitelinks, you also need to specify a sitelink tracking template.

If you do not, the sitelink will inherit the tracking template of the ad, but as this one does not uses {lpurl}, your sitelink would not work.

If there is a tracking template, this is what we will use in the ad, so the user should still be clicking on the same thing and you will keep your tracking intact.

I'm not sure where you heard bout the 2 clicks part but this is not correct.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Thanks Leo. 

Hi gkLUrw5H,

Leo is the Product Manager for Final URLs at Google and he's addressing other Final URL questions on this thread

Just wanted to let you know in case you have further questions.

Thanks, 

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leo,
Right now im using http://www.example.com?keyword={keyword}&device={device}&network={network} and set as Destination URL.

My Question is, do i need to set the Ad Copies to FINAL URL using http://www.example.com ?

and the Campaign Setting Tracking Template will {lpurl}?keyword={keyword}&device={device}&network={network}

What will happen if i did not change the Destination URL to FINAL URL before the update?

NOTE: IF I CHANGE THE "Destination URL" TO "FINAL URL" IT WILL RESET ALL THE STATS OF THE AD COPIES.

Thank you