Guide Me
star_border

Question regarding landing pages and privacy policy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

I have some pages that are used as landing pages only. For these pages via the robots.txt file, the privacy policy is blocked to googlebot but adsbot is allowed access.

Now.. on the main site, a couple of pages are also being used as adwords landing pages/destination urls.
Does anyone know if adding a rel="nofollow" on the links to the privacy policy on the main website pages will have any negative impact on adwords/adsbot ability to access/crawl the privacy policy page.

(atm i have some gungho SEO 'expert' jumping up and down in a near maniacle frenzy that those links to the privacy policy on the main site HAVE to be rel='nofollow', which i dont have a problem with in itself, however I want to make sure its not going to adversly affect the adwords account in any way before the changes are made)

Thanks
Whims Smiley Happy

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question regarding landing pages and privacy policy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Whims,

The best I can say here would be that if you don't allow Adwords to investigate your landing pages and prevent it from being crawled, you might end up losing the overall Quality Score. I don't generally do this and allow the bot to crawl all parts of the site to be on the safer side. This article explains more about the landing page experience.

Just a thought of mine!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

I allow adsbot access to the landing pages and the other site pages that also double as landing pages.

I dont allow adsbot or other bots all access to the site, some things from my pov they simply do not need to access such as cgi-bin, wp-admin and similar

I've done some reading but am not entirely clear on how nofollow works/what exactly it affects in the way of bots.

My only concern is if adding rel="nofollow' to the site's internal links to the privacy policy page will cause adbot to have a sad coz it suddenly cant access the privacy policy which it currently has access to, and as you have pointed out - impact on QS's

If i know for sure it wont affect adbot, then the SEO guy can stop foaming at the mouth and make the changes he is wanting to make Smiley Happy

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

I could think of 2 scenarios where privacy policy pages or internal pages might be of importance for Adwords (in terms of do follow or no follow) for robots.txt file:

If you are using remarketing to re-target your audiences.

If you are using Adwords sitelinks to promote the internal links of your website.

I think above 2 cases could lead to overall low quality score if Adwords bot is not allowed to crawl the site. Again, that's my opinion only and might differ from others.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Whims,

Nice to see you here.

Google was a little vague about which bot crawls your site for policy violations and other measures of quality. I'm not sure if that was intentional or if the engineer I spoke with just wasn't sure. There's a possiblity, apparently, that AdsBot-Google does not read the robots.txt file. It is not at all clear whether the nofollow attribute has any effect on AdsBot, if it indeed does crawl your site.

I block all bots, including googlebot and adsbot, from cgi folders and menu scripts, things no bot needs to crawl. I had disallowed all bots form crawling images, but it turns out that was the reason my MC data feeds kept getting disapproved.

I am curious, at this point, what is the reasoning given by your "gungho SEO expert" for wanting to hide your privacy policy from search engines and bots?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey there petebardo Smiley Happy

The privacy policy doesnt get hidden from adsbot

However googlebot does get disallowed from the privacy policy via robots.txt - why? simply isnt a page that needs to be indexed and I do agree with that.
If there are say 10 page on a website with 'meaningful and relevant' content, the privacy policy isnt one of them.

The SEO's reasoning to the rel="nofollow" on the privacy policy links is so as to not dilute the pagerank - basically what i call link sculpting. Not somethng i agree with doing as far as SEO is concerned, but unless it affects the ppc adversely in some way then it isnt my concern in this instance

Cheers
Whims :-)

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi, Whims!   * waves *

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment and suggest that a privacy policy is always relevant content. Much the same as a sitemap might not offer any "original" content, but is nevertheless an important component of a website.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Whims,

I see you frequently on the Analytics forum, which is why I am happy to see you here, too.

In as far as AdWords goes, it should make no difference whether you "nofollow" the privacy policy. As best as I could tell, the AdsBot is going to crawl and look at whatever it needs to look at in order to asses the quality of your site. The engineer was positive of this. Getting into the details of how or who does the crawling was where it started to get a little vaugue.

I figure they'd have to look through a lot of code to find out. I had a similar question about which bot crawls your site to verify image links. It took about 10 days of looking through code to answer my question.

AdsBot crawls fairly frequently, not just when you create an ad. You can find the evidence in your web logs. You might want to estimate the frequency at which AdsBot crawls your site and which pages it crawls to be certain. I agree with Theresa, the privacy policy is most definitely relevant. Then again, you are the Analytics expert.

Hope this helps.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

*waves* back at Theresa Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I think a Privacy Policy is definitely a necessity for any site. Not having one (from my pov) is bad news.

Having said that though, I also don't think its necessary that it be indexed - if that makes any sense.

Ppl arent going to be searching online for sites based on the content usually found in a privacy policy page -

eg if i want to some cool vector images, I'm not about to search for vector websites using a term like vector privacy policy or vector cookie usage, I'm more likely to search for vector stock images - just my 2c worth Smiley Happy

I let the change go ahead, seems general overall thoughts (also on GWMT Forum) is that the re="nofollow' should not affect adwords, provided the privacy policy page is linked to in a visable way and is easy for site visitors to find and access.

Its been 24hrs and so far, I'm not seeing any negative impact on the account at this stage.

I'm just trying to work out a happy medium between what the SEO says needs to be put into place and what i need from a ppc pov. I think what 'gets' me is the SEO has no knowledge or interest in PPC and doesnt understand that if he shoud suddenly go thru and make sweeping changes to site pages that have ads running to them for completely different keywords etc that it can have a negative impact on what i am doing :-/

(however that is another completely different issue) Smiley Happy