5.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question regarding ad policy

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi, need to know if the following is 'legal' in Adwords eyes, to me it doesnt seem like it should be as it doesnt follow guidelines for what I would class as correct punctuation in regards to the dashes between words and seems kind of 'Gimmicky'.

Ad Line 1: Heading (blue ad text)
Ad Line 2: Word1 - Word2 - Word3

Ad Line 3: Some ad text here.

Ad Line 4: Display URL

Thanks
Whims 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question regarding ad policy -Special characters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Whims

All special characters rules (types, how many allowed, in which line, exceptions, etc...) are given here:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=1310862&guide=1308145&page=guide.c...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Question regarding ad policy

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Whims,

I agree with your assessment but that is not the question. 

As you may have already explored, this policy page does not appear to show that single dashes between words are against the rules.  I think if you submit the ad, you'll find out soon enough if it passes the 'test'.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It passes the radar because I am seeing other ads using this technique.

I'm just surprised that it is allowed as I would have thought it would have been unacceptable usage of characters/punctuation.

Thank you both for linking to that page, i had been looking for it and unable to find it since they revamped and moved everything around.

Cheers

Whims

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I agree with Whims,

I did remember that  only one dash is allowed . I was surprised  ( as Whims) to see that more than one is OK,,,Smiley Surprised

Ad formating policy is fiercely enforced by the robot. If that was not in line with Policy, the ad would be rejected immediately.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bronwyn V
September 2015

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Whims, 

You can definitely have the dashes between words. You can also have double dashes as you can see on the policy page. Rule of thumb, don't overuse the symbols. So something like this would not be allowed: "--- Word1 --- Word2 ---- Word3 ----"

Best,

Zee
G+

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

You can do this, but would it be more effective than your current ads?

Tom

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

No idea Thomas Hale, Jr.

re effectiveness however it did catch my eye today when I was looking at other ads. Will be having a play with it to test it against current ads.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Smiley Happy
Zee
G+

Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Waste of characters in my opinion. That ad will also look bit awkward if you managed to get into the shaded area.

Different folks, different strokes?