4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question about low search volume keywords vs. generic keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I am going to start a few campaigns for a business, the problem is, the business and it's services are highly specific (low volume/high value customers) and most potential customers are not familiar with the correct terminology when searching for the kind of service since it is inovative. Thus they either search more generic terms or there will be very few people searching for my keywords.

(Unrelated example: I would advertise "Product launch event management/marketing" so people would most likely search for event management, which can range from weddings and company dinners up to what is the actual business. As well as  marketing, which would be part of the service but extreemly generic. I hope you can see my "dilema")

I opted for creating adgroups with specific keywords (lets call them "technical terms") and and some with more generic keywords (which I would like to keep pause and only activate if volume is low). I am concerned that that most of the specific keywords (technical terms) will get "low search volume" flaged and thus inactive even though people might be searching for those specific keywords in my adgroup, though it might be only one or two searches a week per keyword.

Thus I have a few questions:

1) How are those searches, that have low volume and no "real match" active, matched and what are they matched to?

2) Is there a way to avoid the low search volume flag? Or can I still be matched if somebody searches for the exact term?

3) Do I have to bid higher since I have to bid on more generic terms in the hopes that I will get matched to somebody who searched more generic and is actually interested in my service? (This would be unfortunate since I would have to pay high bids for people who might or might not be interested, competing with other, related but not identical service, thus burning my budget and ruining my CTR/Quality score.)

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conrad
September 2015

Re: Question about low search volume keywords vs. generic keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

WHat an interesting question! I face issues like this almost daily

1) Not sure what you mean here, but if a search query is too seldom to be able too have a certain keyword active, it can only be triggered by another, or broader, keyword. Thus if the search query is "Gold coloured toothpaste" and the keyword [Gold coloured toothpaste] is not active because of low volume, you might have too add a broader keyword, such as "gold coloured toothpaste" or even +gold +toothpaste

2) If someone searches for the "gold coloured toothpaste" and you have the keyword +gold +toothpaste And that is active, yes the query can trigger your ad

3) Generic keywords do generally have a lower general position and thus need higher bids in general But if you have a good match when that specific search query is performed and a high Quality score, you don´t need a specifically high bid for that specific search query But as you can only know that afterwards, when you run your search terms report and than also have clicks for that query, you wont know what to do on beforehand And even aftwards you can´t do much as you can´t add it as a keyword and give it a specific bid

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conrad
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

WHat an interesting question! I face issues like this almost daily

1) Not sure what you mean here, but if a search query is too seldom to be able too have a certain keyword active, it can only be triggered by another, or broader, keyword. Thus if the search query is "Gold coloured toothpaste" and the keyword [Gold coloured toothpaste] is not active because of low volume, you might have too add a broader keyword, such as "gold coloured toothpaste" or even +gold +toothpaste

2) If someone searches for the "gold coloured toothpaste" and you have the keyword +gold +toothpaste And that is active, yes the query can trigger your ad

3) Generic keywords do generally have a lower general position and thus need higher bids in general But if you have a good match when that specific search query is performed and a high Quality score, you don´t need a specifically high bid for that specific search query But as you can only know that afterwards, when you run your search terms report and than also have clicks for that query, you wont know what to do on beforehand And even aftwards you can´t do much as you can´t add it as a keyword and give it a specific bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First of all, thank you for your answer.

1) To get the straight, and stay with your example, if somebody searches for "gold coloured toothpaste" and this term is flag as "low search volume" the keyword that will be triggered might be something like "coloured toothpaste" or "gold toothpaste" or even just "toothpaste".

2) Lets say I have the keyword [gold coloured toothpaste] but it is flagged as "low search volume" and somebody searches for "gold coloured toothpaste" my keyword wouldn't be triggered but some of the above mentioned matches (like "coloured toothpaste" or "gold toothpaste" or even just "toothpaste") even though I have that keyword on exact match in there...?

3) Issue here is not so much my position but that I would have to step down into the pit where all the "others" bid, rather than be distinct. (example, I would compete for the term "car" in stead of "luxus limousine" and thus have to bid with more people - thus more exepensive - and even getting the click I wouldn't be sure that the user is interested in being my client or can afford it...

Once more, thank you.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you got it!

Yes if you have a broader keyword you will be in more auctions and that might mean you have too bid higher generally than if you could bid for a more narrow keyword with less competition. But each auction will be unique and your range of actual price will vary greatly.

Hop that helped. Bidding and keywords are the most fundamental and most complex parts of AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for clearing this all up.