AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question about location setting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I exclude a zipcode near my target location does it mean ads wont show up at all in that excluded location?  I still want my ads to show up in the excluded zip code if they're searching for service in my target location.......

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris K
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I think I follow. I would remove the exclusion for the zip code, but adjust your budget and bid adjustment for your location you're primarily targeting. For example, lower your overall bid by 50% but then go in and apply a location bid adjustment for your primary area for +100%. 

You can also play with your targeting location settings, experimenting with "Physical Location" or "Location of Interest."

Just keep an eye on your geographic reporting (under Dimensions tab) and adjust accordingly. Does that help?

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

To clarify, are you trying to exclude display ads from showing in the targeted zip code but still have search ads display?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! I'm using Search Only at this time. I still want our search ads to come up if they're inside of the excluded location but searching for service within my target location. Does that make sense? Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris K
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I think I follow. I would remove the exclusion for the zip code, but adjust your budget and bid adjustment for your location you're primarily targeting. For example, lower your overall bid by 50% but then go in and apply a location bid adjustment for your primary area for +100%. 

You can also play with your targeting location settings, experimenting with "Physical Location" or "Location of Interest."

Just keep an eye on your geographic reporting (under Dimensions tab) and adjust accordingly. Does that help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That helps a lot actually! I think this is a way better option than how I have it now. Much appreciated!