Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question about different match type keywords and cpc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I have a question regarding different match type keywords and cpcs.

Say the keyword I want to bid on is [hat shop in london] to be shown throughout the UK and I'm bidding £1.00 for it. But another advertiser has the keyword "hat shop" in their campaign and bids £3.00 for it. If both keywords' quality scores were the same, would I have to pay more than £3.00 to be shown higher than them?

In my experience, you can usually bid lower for localised keywords than non-localised, so the term [hat shop] is more expensive than [hat shop in london].

Thanks

Laura

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Question about different match type keywords and cpc

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

It will depend upon the actual ad rank which will be calculated dynamically whenever a search query is entered on Google.

Hence, it's not only about your bid, but your Quality Score and how much relevant is the search query and how many advertisers are actually bidding for those set of keywords.

Watch this video where Google's Chief Economist Hal Varian explains more on how ad auction actually works:

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

It will depend upon the actual ad rank which will be calculated dynamically whenever a search query is entered on Google.

Hence, it's not only about your bid, but your Quality Score and how much relevant is the search query and how many advertisers are actually bidding for those set of keywords.

Watch this video where Google's Chief Economist Hal Varian explains more on how ad auction actually works:

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Ohhh

Linking one of AdWords classic videos of all time...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’