AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question about Keyword Planner

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am trying to learn the Keyword Planner.  Take the search term "google analytics reporting tools".  I already have this keyword in my campaign.  And for a single day I had 182 impressions:

googleanalyticsreportingToolsFromMyAdWords.png

I am using the Keyword Planner for these keyword: Tools -> Keyword Planner -> Get search volume for a list of
keywords....." When I enter that term in, it states the average monthly searches is only 90.  This does not make sense since in one day I had over 100 impressions for my ad.  I am clearly not understanding the Keyword Planner.

ShowGoogleAnalyticsReportingToolsInKeywordPlanner.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark S
September 2015

Re: Question about Keyword Planner

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

3 points to remember :

If you want to get the real, raw data use "get search volume", rather than the "traffic estimator"

Don't confuse the  data  shown  in "search volume statistics"  which is based on real raw data, and the traffic estimator, which is based on your  actual campaign and account past performances

The search volume data is an average. (Again, not to confuse with the "estimator").  Like any average, it  has a margin of error (which Google does not disclose).

And finally, from the documentation:

>> "Note

Keep in mind that historical stats like average monthly searches are only shown for exact match. For example, let's say your keyword is dark chocolate. If you want to check that keyword's average monthly searches, we'll show you the same exact match stats whether you use a broad, phrase, or exact match type with dark chocolate. Traffic estimates like clicks and cost, on the other hand, do take into account keyword match types. For example, if you get estimates for a list of broad match keywords, we'll take into account any overlap between those keywords."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Mark S,
Things to remember with the Keyword Planner tool.

1) The setting you pick in the planner and options you choose.

Capture111111111111111111111111111111111111.JPG

2)  Remember these Tools are just Estimates or Estimates.

3) Your Keyword Matching options.

In your image you are using broad match - which will bring in lots of variations and also potentially close variants of the keyword you choose.  ( based on advanced settings - include close variants or not)

4)  See #2,  these estimates are  rarely even close to true and actual Live results.  Most of the time it's the estimated CPC's that are really low. but  traffic is also just an estimate.

My suggestion is to work on Quality Scores (QS) CTR, CPC, make sure you landing pages, keyword matching types, Negative keyword lists, and Ad Copy are all up to speed.

Good Lucks

Eric G

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Agree with Eric,
Keyword planner only give an estimate and not actual data.
Also, since you using broad match keywords, so it would have shown for lots of other keywords. Check its actual search terms and you will get aan idea.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
But I am using a broad match in Adwords and also a broad match in the keyword planning tool. So to me I am comparing apples to apples. I understand they are just estimates. But when you consider I had 182 impressions of my ad on a somewhat low daily budget ($20/day), and the "Keyword Planning Tool" shows there would only be on average 90 impressions, these are not even close in my opinion. This makes me think the tools is useless.

Had I never added "google analytics reporting tool" in my campaign, and had I used the keyword tool to find new keywords, and it reported there were only 90 searches per month that would activates "google analytics reporting tools", I would never even bother to add those keywords to my campaign.

I will have to read up more on this keyword tool. I have to be missing something. I have to imagine that more than 90 searches of "google analytics reporting tools" are being done per month.

Thanks for your reply.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
See reply to @Eric G.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

3 points to remember :

If you want to get the real, raw data use "get search volume", rather than the "traffic estimator"

Don't confuse the  data  shown  in "search volume statistics"  which is based on real raw data, and the traffic estimator, which is based on your  actual campaign and account past performances

The search volume data is an average. (Again, not to confuse with the "estimator").  Like any average, it  has a margin of error (which Google does not disclose).

And finally, from the documentation:

>> "Note

Keep in mind that historical stats like average monthly searches are only shown for exact match. For example, let's say your keyword is dark chocolate. If you want to check that keyword's average monthly searches, we'll show you the same exact match stats whether you use a broad, phrase, or exact match type with dark chocolate. Traffic estimates like clicks and cost, on the other hand, do take into account keyword match types. For example, if you get estimates for a list of broad match keywords, we'll take into account any overlap between those keywords."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’