2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question Mark in Headline

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When creating the headline for an ad is it acceptable to have a question mark at the end of it? Also is it recommended to ask a question in the headline of an ad copy?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question Mark in Headline

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Question marks are allowed in headlines.

They're not always a great idea, though. You want your headline to be clear about what you're selling. If trying to be clever with a "question headline" obscures what you're offering, you're creating an ad people will skip reading.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Question marks in the headlines can work really well in my experience. Yet, they're to be used with caution, as putting a question mark at the end of a sentence may considerably weaken the effect of your ad.

I would set up an experiment to test if question mark(s) will work for your target audience. Some products/services are better marketed from an authoritative position, others with a gentler approach. Use this up-to-date (March 2016) reference material for using experiments: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Growing-your-Business/Adwordstein-Using-Experiments-in-AdW...

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff,

I have practically used question mark in the headline and found working better as compared to other ads.
It is upto you, The best ad is the one in which you are considering the pain points of user along with the solution.

So asking pain points as a question and answering it or giving the best solution in the description lines will always reflects that you understand the problem and have the solution which attracts the users to go with you.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
It can work very well if your competitors ads are information heavy, and you are offering as simple answer. The question mark will be like a beacon in such scenarios.