AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question About Google Adwords Converstion Tracking Code Tag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I would like to ask a question about Google Adwords Conversion Tracking Code Tag.

My question is "How would Google Adwords know which ad that I advertise on Google Adwords display adword is matched with which conversion tracking code?"

The situation is like this, assuming I have a game website with 1 domain name abc.com. I have 2 games. 1 is a tank game and 1 is a car game.

I have 2 different Thank You Pages for download. abc.com/tank/tank_thankyou.html , & abc.com/car/car_thankyou.html .

I have created 2 different Google Adwords Conversion Tracking Tags, 1 for each thank you page.

I have inserted them into the webpages html.

Google Tag Manager identifies that the tags are installed properly.

Next, I create 2 campaigns. 1 campaign to advertise static banner ads to get people to download the tank game. 1 other similar campaign to get people to download the car game.

The tank game advertisements have final URL as abc.com/tank_game_download.html.

The car game advertisements have final URL as abc.com/car_game_download.html

Assume I run both campaigns, if a person sees the tank ad, and goes to download the tank game, Adwords will mark that as 1 conversion in the Conversion column because of the conversion tracking tag that I've installed on the thank you page.

But what if someone saw the tank ad, but after he arrived at the tank game download page, he decided to browse around on my website & found the car game download page and downloads the car game. How would Google Adwords know that it shouldn't mark that as a conversion for the tank ad?

Thank you.

Warm regards,

Jason Kuek

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ads c
August 2016

Re: Question About Google Adwords Converstion Tracking Code Tag

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
There is a simple solution.

In the menu above your ads, keywords, ad groups or campaigns, click on Segment > Conversions > Conversion Name.

This will add rows showing you the name of each conversion. So as long as the conversions are clearly labelled, you will see how many of each apply to your ads and keywords.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason,

AdWords won't be able to ignore this conversion, that's because the click originated in the same account as the conversion code.
Why wouldn't you want AdWords to count this conversion? even if the user did not download the game you intended it to, the end result is still that the user became a lead or did an action you defined as valuable.

Why wouldn't you want to count this conversion?

Bests,

Dori

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

For the vast majority of AdWords users, this would not bee seen as a problem, which is why conversion tracking is set at account level.

In terms of reporting, it shouldn't matter, because you can see the results clearly.

If the two conversions have different values to you, you can assign them values.

I do understand that using automated bidding that looks at conversions can be affected, but this can be resolved by using manual bidding.

...On the other side of the coin... if Google did not tell you that tank ads were getting car downloads, you would be missing out on important information about your advertising and customer preferences.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Rob & Dori. Thank you for your replies.

Yes, I would want to know the conversion for the car game too. But what I meant was that in order to have a clear picture of how much is the cost per conversion, as in CPA(Cost per Acquisition), I need to have the correct conversion be attributed to the right ad.

What I mean is the following:
I'm using a shared account. Meaning one GDN account is used to advertise for multiple games with multiple websites respectively. Hence there are multiple conversion codes set up across multiple games download Thank You pages.
I could be using this account to advertise for 1 game.
Another guy could be using this account to advertise for another game.

I'm advertising display banners on GDN for tank game. If the tank ad had 100 clicks, and at the final 100th click, the guy decided to download the tank game, I'm charged let's say $2.50 for all 100 clicks. So my Cost Per Acquisition on this guy is $2.50. So I can say there's 1 download for the tank game. I can say that my ad was effective at getting the intended customer for the intended product.

But if I'm showing the GDN tank game, if the tank ad had 100 clicks, and at the final 100th click , the guy decided to download the car game instead, Google marks that as a conversion too & attributes it to the Tank ad, & not the car ad. So, in the Adwords dashboard, I'd see 1 conversion marked at the Tank Ad campaign ad row. Yes, it's true the Tank Ad although was supposed to get a customer to download the tank game ended up getting someone to download the car game instead. Yes, it's a conversion. Yes, the ad also cost $2.50 for a download.
But I can't say that I have gotten 1 download for the tank game.

In fact, if this is the case, the dashboard's conversions column only marks how many downloads regardless if it's tank game or car game. If there are 15 conversions for the tank ad campaign, the 15 could be a mix of both tank games download & car games downloads.

So, at the end of the campaign, I can't say "The Tank game was more costly as it takes about $4.80 to get a customer to download compared to the Car game."
What I can correctly say is that "The Tank game campaigns was more costly as it takes about $4.80 to get a download compared to the Car game campaign."
But the downloads we're talking about here could have been from both games, as Adwords doesn't make that kind of distinction at Account level.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ads c
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
There is a simple solution.

In the menu above your ads, keywords, ad groups or campaigns, click on Segment > Conversions > Conversion Name.

This will add rows showing you the name of each conversion. So as long as the conversions are clearly labelled, you will see how many of each apply to your ads and keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much, Rob.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Rob.