AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Question About Dynamic Location Insertion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Fairly new to adwords, I've been working through it over the last couple of weeks and have a question about dynamic location insertion.

Say my client is a plumber and wants to advertise in a 50km radius from his business. Is there any way I can get google to insert the city or suburb the user searched into the ad text?

From what I gather this is how you would do it {lb.city:default}

I assume you change default to the location of the business? then would google insert the searched city if it was within the radius?

eg "plumbers near {lb.city:mycity}" would it show "plumbers near thiercity"?

What about suburbs?

And where would Google find that data or would you have to select all the local cities/suburbs yourself?

I hope that makes sense!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake O
March 2016

Re: Question About Dynamic Location Insertion

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jake,

As far as I remember they probably introduced it as a beta version and was finally removed way back in 2014. 

As a work around for local advertisers, you can do the location bid adjustment so that chances of your ad w.r.t to that location are higher compared to other advertisers.

You could also split your campaigns location wise and target some generic keywords to drive more traffic from those locations.

You could also follow this doc for more details:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2914785

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jake,
Dynamic location insertion is no longer supported, to my knowledge.
How ever you can achieve similar effect with segmenting out your Campaigns for specific location targets and adding adgroups with keywords geographical intent keywords +mycity +plumber for example.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey

Thanks for your reply.

So I would have to have multiple adgroups that were the same or almost the same with the only difference been the locations?

If you had multiple keywords that included the location you would maybe only get 1 or 2 locations to an ad group. Wouldn't the account just end up bloated if you had to put in all suburbs in a 50km radius?

I mean, if I was searching for a plumber I would use my location so I wasn't getting irrelevant results.

Maybe its best to not include locations to begin with and use search term report to see if people are searching with location?

Any idea why they removed it?

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jake O
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jake,

As far as I remember they probably introduced it as a beta version and was finally removed way back in 2014. 

As a work around for local advertisers, you can do the location bid adjustment so that chances of your ad w.r.t to that location are higher compared to other advertisers.

You could also split your campaigns location wise and target some generic keywords to drive more traffic from those locations.

You could also follow this doc for more details:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2914785

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj

Thanks for that, was very helpful.

Jake

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Most welcome Jake and keep posting for further queries related to AdWords. Would be glad to answer.