Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score for viewable CPM campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I would like to know how Google calculates quality score for GDN campaigns that use viewable CPM bidding strategy.

I was reading a few discussions and they always pointed out that for CPM campaigns only thing that matters is the quality of a landing page (most of them were linking to this article, although there is no such statement there, it can be figured by eliminating factors unrelated to GDN). I didn't found an official Google material covering these statements.

Additionally, this PPC hero article covers the cases of calculating QS when keywords and topics are the targeting options in a GDN campaign. What would be the case when I have an ad group targeting only interests, on a viewable CPM bidding, and have only display ads?

How can I improve performance (lower viewable CPM) for these campaigns?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, 

Mate

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Quality score for viewable CPM campaigns

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mate J

Adwords Don't calculate quality Score of Keywords in GDN, With display network CPM campaigns Quality Score is based on the quality of your landing page. Read https://support.google.com/partners/answer/6187720?topic=3071897&ctx=topic&path=2799680-&hl=en&_ga=1...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clal,

thanks for your answer. I have read the Fundamentals guide and I can't find that statement (about QS being based on quality of the landing page).

Could you point me to the page (or URL) where you found it?

Cheers,

Mate

P.S. When talking about keywords (it was a sidenote), I was referring to the case where my GDN CPM-bidding campaign bids only on interests (wanted to know how my QS gets calculated in that particular case), as that case wasn't stated in this PPC hero article.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mate J,

Aside from all the comments, QS on the GDN is calculated pretty much the same way and CTR is a big factor. I should say "the expected click-thru rate"" is the main factor. That's based on previous response to your ad and the QS will change for each site where your ad appears. Unfortunately, there is no way to see the QS for GDN. I would imagine there are just too many variables involved.

The best way to improve your GDN QS is to improve your CTR. Include some of the comparative metrics on the campaign tab. Be sure to also include comparative CTR column as your performance compared to the competition is also a major factor. Improve your CTR by testing multiple ads.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

thank you for your answer. I presume the same, but wanted to know what can I expect out of CPM campaigns, and what would be the best way to achieve lower CPM in campaigns that bid on viewable impressions.

It's funny it would obviously be by getting a high CTR on these campaigns Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Mate