6.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quality score blues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Newbie here. Used Ad words Express for about three months and decided to switch to just Ad Words. Using it to advertise for our auto body shop. For the past month or so I have had a horrible quality score (mainly 2 or less). I thought I had figured it out by creating multiple new ads with the key words inside the ad. When I created the new ads the quality score was like a 6 for each one I did! But... as the weekend went by I checked it today and they are all back down to 2. I am really confused now, I thought this would be a cut and dry procedure with words that directly involve our business plus using a radius of only 30 miles....but apparently it is not. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

AD 

• Gaier's Collision Repair
  • www.gaierschryslerdodgejeep.com
  • Auto Body Repair Shop
  • Bumper Repair. Free Estimates                                                                                                                         
  • Key word: Bumper Repair     ( Quality score 2/10 )
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gaiers I
September 2015

Re: Quality score blues

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Gaier,

Quality score is also a directly impacted by CTR (click through rate) as well as Ad Extensions.

1) Make sure you have all the Ad Extensions - Phone, Location, Call Outs, Etc

2) Go the Keyword section, and Look at the Bubble Box in the Status column, It will show if your keyword is below average, average or above average for 3 components: Expected Click through Rate, Ad Relevance, Landing page Experience. If you are below average that is where you have to work upon.

3) To have a good optimized campaign your Keywords have to match your ads, so if you have a large set of keywords in an ad group then you won't match well. Split your ad groups into closely knit keyword and ad copy so they Match up perfectly.

From your example above if you had the Keyword Engine Repair in the ad group with this Bumper ad, then it would not sync well and not be optimized.

4) Negative Keywords - You may be getting tons of impressions ( without Clicks) for terms that are not conducive to your business, but at the same time Lowering your QS. Check your Keywords Search Terms report in Both Analytics and Adwords to remove Negative keywords that cause you both inflated impressions and irrelevant clicks
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

5) Review your Ave Positions, - If you are in the 4-10 range- two things happen, One you get impressions with out clicks ( Lowering your CTR thus effecting QS) but also in positions 3-10 your ad extensions don't show, thus can effect your CTR's as well

So you may want to Up a few bids, if your Budget can afford it. (But not required) But fasted way to get out of the QS hole once everything else is fixed

One last tip on QS, Google applies an expected CTR or QS based on the position on your Ad, and if you exceed that CTR for that Position, it will increase your QS, but if the expectation is not meet, the QS goes down. Which after fixing 1-4 examples above, and the situation still happens, Look to make better ads if possible to bring up the CTR for your Bid Position.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Gaiers I wrote:
Thanks!!!
Question from your reply....I never used the negative keywords yet. So if I had " Bumper Repair " and someone types " Engine Repair" does the keyword "Repair" make my ad come up which results in a no click? If so, would my Negative keyword be " repair" ?

There are two aspects from the Negative keyword approach that you want to be aware.

1) Review your Search terms report. If you are using any keyword match type other then [Exact Match] you will be eligible to search query terms that are irrelevant to you, but are "Deemed Relevant to Google Related Queries"

For Example:

Your Keyword Is Bumper Repair.  You may see in your Search Query Reports ( Both Adwords and Analytics) the follow keyword queried

Window PC Repair
Nissan 2004 Bumper Part

Bondo for Bumper Repair

How long does a Bumper Repair last.

and all sorts of nice terms that are irrelevant.

If you saw the List above, The best way to Negative a keyword so that it never comes into play again is use the  Broad match version (sometime phrase versions)  ( and a single word as well if possible.)  So looking at my example I would add the following to negative keywords in either Campaign or Ad group.

bondo

Part

Last

"How Long"

PC

I would also brainstorm terms that are similar.

2)  using negative keywords to sculpt your campaigns.  Say you have an ad group for Engines and and Ad group for Bumpers,  The I would add the Negative keyword   Engine, Engines etc into the Bumper Ad group and the keyword Bumpers Bumper into the Engine Ad group so that you force the query to the correct group and correct ad.

Your Specific question

I never used the negative keywords yet. So if I had " Bumper Repair " and someone types " Engine Repair" does the keyword "Repair" make my ad come up which results in a no click? YES, you would get an impression maybe even clicks but they would be irrelevant seeing the wrong ad, or going to a bad landing page etc.

If so, would my Negative keyword be " repair" ?

NO, if you negative the word Repair then your ad would never show. because your Keyword is "Bumper Repairs" and that negative would stop your add from showing.

You would Negative the opposite words, like Engines, Engines, parts, etc..

maker sure you look back in time to start of your account for Keywords that have been queried by your ads, via that Search terms reports.  Build yourself an awesome negative keyword.

PS- I begin an account with around 4000 negative keywords and usually end up with around 9-10K with in the first 30 days, because when I see a query for one term that is irrelevant, I brainstorm another 50-100 that are similar to add to my negative keyword list.

TIP

Since you are in the Car Business, think over every single thing related to cars that you don't do.

ie 

nascar

races

tire repair

used car deals

Rental

rentals

Car Radios

Antennas

You  may also want to Negative out some geo locations that are outside of your area, that a customer would never drive to, but are big in your state even though you are using radius targeting,  you may get hit with  City Bumper Repair and that city is 100 miles away, just because..  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Gaier,

Quality score is also a directly impacted by CTR (click through rate) as well as Ad Extensions.

1) Make sure you have all the Ad Extensions - Phone, Location, Call Outs, Etc

2) Go the Keyword section, and Look at the Bubble Box in the Status column, It will show if your keyword is below average, average or above average for 3 components: Expected Click through Rate, Ad Relevance, Landing page Experience. If you are below average that is where you have to work upon.

3) To have a good optimized campaign your Keywords have to match your ads, so if you have a large set of keywords in an ad group then you won't match well. Split your ad groups into closely knit keyword and ad copy so they Match up perfectly.

From your example above if you had the Keyword Engine Repair in the ad group with this Bumper ad, then it would not sync well and not be optimized.

4) Negative Keywords - You may be getting tons of impressions ( without Clicks) for terms that are not conducive to your business, but at the same time Lowering your QS. Check your Keywords Search Terms report in Both Analytics and Adwords to remove Negative keywords that cause you both inflated impressions and irrelevant clicks
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

5) Review your Ave Positions, - If you are in the 4-10 range- two things happen, One you get impressions with out clicks ( Lowering your CTR thus effecting QS) but also in positions 3-10 your ad extensions don't show, thus can effect your CTR's as well

So you may want to Up a few bids, if your Budget can afford it. (But not required) But fasted way to get out of the QS hole once everything else is fixed

One last tip on QS, Google applies an expected CTR or QS based on the position on your Ad, and if you exceed that CTR for that Position, it will increase your QS, but if the expectation is not meet, the QS goes down. Which after fixing 1-4 examples above, and the situation still happens, Look to make better ads if possible to bring up the CTR for your Bid Position.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks!!!
Question from your reply....I never used the negative keywords yet. So if I had " Bumper Repair " and someone types " Engine Repair" does the keyword "Repair" make my ad come up which results in a no click? If so, would my Negative keyword be " repair" ?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Gaiers I wrote:
Thanks!!!

There are two aspects from the Negative keyword approach that you want to be aware.

1) Review your Search terms report. If you are using any keyword match type other then [Exact Match] you will be eligible to search query terms that are irrelevant to you, but are "Deemed Relevant to Google Related Queries"

For Example:

Your Keyword Is Bumper Repair.  You may see in your Search Query Reports ( Both Adwords and Analytics) the follow keyword queried

Window PC Repair
Nissan 2004 Bumper Part

Bondo for Bumper Repair

How long does a Bumper Repair last.

and all sorts of nice terms that are irrelevant.

If you saw the List above, The best way to Negative a keyword so that it never comes into play again is use the  Broad match version (sometime phrase versions)  ( and a single word as well if possible.)  So looking at my example I would add the following to negative keywords in either Campaign or Ad group.

bondo

Part

Last

"How Long"

PC

I would also brainstorm terms that are similar.

2)  using negative keywords to sculpt your campaigns.  Say you have an ad group for Engines and and Ad group for Bumpers,  The I would add the Negative keyword   Engine, Engines etc into the Bumper Ad group and the keyword Bumpers Bumper into the Engine Ad group so that you force the query to the correct group and correct ad.

Your Specific question

I never used the negative keywords yet. So if I had " Bumper Repair " and someone types " Engine Repair" does the keyword "Repair" make my ad come up which results in a no click? YES, you would get an impression maybe even clicks but they would be irrelevant seeing the wrong ad, or going to a bad landing page etc.

If so, would my Negative keyword be " repair" ?

NO, if you negative the word Repair then your ad would never show. because your Keyword is "Bumper Repairs" and that negative would stop your add from showing.

You would Negative the opposite words, like Engines, Engines, parts, etc..

maker sure you look back in time to start of your account for Keywords that have been queried by your ads, via that Search terms reports.  Build yourself an awesome negative keyword.

PS- I begin an account with around 4000 negative keywords and usually end up with around 9-10K with in the first 30 days, because when I see a query for one term that is irrelevant, I brainstorm another 50-100 that are similar to add to my negative keyword list.

TIP

Since you are in the Car Business, think over every single thing related to cars that you don't do.

ie 

nascar

races

tire repair

used car deals

Rental

rentals

Car Radios

Antennas

You  may also want to Negative out some geo locations that are outside of your area, that a customer would never drive to, but are big in your state even though you are using radius targeting,  you may get hit with  City Bumper Repair and that city is 100 miles away, just because..  Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow!! Thanks Eric!! I am now starting to get it...this was explained extremely well! I am now eager to dive back into this AD campaign and give it another spin.

Thanks!!!
Ben

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Your Welcome Ben,

Glad I could help