3.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score for a low-performing keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Which would be recommended if I am trying to increase the Quality Score of a low-performing keyword? Should I increase the daily budget for the campaign with the keyword or modify the ad associated with that keyword to direct to a highly-relevant landing page? I keep hearing these two different answers from people but I want to know which one is the best to use.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mnkelly
September 2015

Re: Quality Score for a low-performing keyword

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mnkelly,

Raising daily budget is not an option specially when you are not reaching your daily budget limits. In order improve QS first you need to look into your campaign for few questions such as:

>> Is your campaign settings correct? Are you targeting seperate campaigns for search and display network?

>> Is your campaign structured well in tightly themed adgroups with highly relevant adcopies and lading page?

>> Is the Avg. Position is good enough and bids are fair enough?
>> Is the CTR of your campaigns are Okay?

You really need to work on above points in order to get best out of the campaign. Well structured campaign can lead you to good QS. CTR is the main & very important factor of QS. Work on improving your CTR and you will see improvment in QS thus less CPC for your campaign. 

In order to improve CTR, You really need to maintain strict relevancy between your search terms and keywords. Regular search query and adding positive and negative keywords can really help. I would also recommend you to check Exact Match impressions share, higher the exact match share better the QS. If you queries will exactly match with the exact keywords in your campaigns it can be really boost QS.

Acopy testing is another great strategy to get good CTR. Pause underforming adcopies and lauch new enticing adcopies with strong call to action.

Recommended Articles:

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Test a new ad and new landing page first before increasing CPC, those usually will cause a change - either for the better or the worse.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mnkelly
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mnkelly,

Raising daily budget is not an option specially when you are not reaching your daily budget limits. In order improve QS first you need to look into your campaign for few questions such as:

>> Is your campaign settings correct? Are you targeting seperate campaigns for search and display network?

>> Is your campaign structured well in tightly themed adgroups with highly relevant adcopies and lading page?

>> Is the Avg. Position is good enough and bids are fair enough?
>> Is the CTR of your campaigns are Okay?

You really need to work on above points in order to get best out of the campaign. Well structured campaign can lead you to good QS. CTR is the main & very important factor of QS. Work on improving your CTR and you will see improvment in QS thus less CPC for your campaign. 

In order to improve CTR, You really need to maintain strict relevancy between your search terms and keywords. Regular search query and adding positive and negative keywords can really help. I would also recommend you to check Exact Match impressions share, higher the exact match share better the QS. If you queries will exactly match with the exact keywords in your campaigns it can be really boost QS.

Acopy testing is another great strategy to get good CTR. Pause underforming adcopies and lauch new enticing adcopies with strong call to action.

Recommended Articles:

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

There are some great tips here from Neha but I would also recommend if at all possible adding your keywords into your ad text if at all possible. This will help improve the relevance of your ad texts. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Neha: I'm new in Adwords, so please don't be laugh with my question:
With low perform keywords, what is the perfect one, is cpc or cpm? But my logic think that i will prefer CPM instead of CPC.
So, basically, first thing to do is remake high quality landing page and than make cpm for the campaign. Am I wrong? please review my logic. Thanks Neha

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Sukmanto Y,

I never laugh on AdWords questions, you are welcome to ask any adwords related questions.

First of all, I would like to know which campaign type you are running? CPM bidding works on Display Network. While CPC works on display and search both.

For Display Network

-- If you are running CPM campaign - quality score is solely based on landing page.
-- If CPC bidding QS is based on historical CTR of the ad on this and similar sites, and the quality of your landing page.

But always keep in mind QS exists for display network but Google doesn't show it.

Thanks
Neha