AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score and Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up a list of keywords in a campaign, mainly about different forms of the name of the product being promoted.

e.g. product name = Grande Latte with no sugar

keyword = "Latte no sugar", gets a quality score of 10/10

keyword = "Grande Latte with no sugar", which is an exact match of the product name but just gets a quality score of 6/10

The exact match keyword is also not be triggered/shown.

Thanks for advice in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Quality Score and Keyword

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Quality Score is a magical metric of Adwords and there are different permutations and combinations based on which it is calculated for the account.

Please note that initially when you enter the keywords, the QS allocated to your keywords will be based on how other advertisers would have used these keywords in their account.

Slowly and gradually when your keywords start building the data and some history is attached to them, then the Quality Score which is allocated is actually specific to your account. So this metric is dynamic in nature and might keep on varying with time.

In order to better understand Quality Score, I would encourage you to read this excellent post by Googler Tanmay:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-sauce/td-...

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Biondi, welcome to the community!

Quality score(QS) of [Grande Latte with no sugar]-

Quality score depends few major factors below-

• Your keyword's past clickthrough rate (CTR)
  • Your display URL's past CTR
  • Your account history
  • The quality of your landing page
  • Your keyword/ad relevance
  • Your keyword/search relevance
  • Geographic performance
  • Your ad's performance on a site
  • Your targeted devices

Is "Grande Latte with no sugar" added newly. If its newly added, then you might need to wait till it accrues sufficient clicks and then performance can be gauged. If it performs well, the QS will be improved.

The keyword "Latte no sugar" might have performed well in the past gaining good QS.

Also you can check how relevant is your ad text to “Grande Latte with no sugar"”. Does the ad text include the word “Grande” word.

The exact match keyword is also not be triggered/shown-

You can check whether “Grande” in added in negative keywords list for some reasons blocking the ad display.

Is same keyword [Grande Latte with no sugar] added in different ad group. If yes, then they might be competing each other and one with good QS is winning the auction.

The best way to check why the ad is not getting triggered for particular keyword is using “Ad preview and diagnosis tool” available in

Campaigns > Keywords > Status column > Hover mouse over the bubble icon for keyword [Grande Latte with no sugar] > Click “Ad preview and diagnosis tool”.

It will give you reasons, why ad is not getting triggered.

Hope this helps!

SJ

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

When you first start your campaign  Google will assign a QS based on history from various sources ( like your own history , competitors history, and probably domain/url history).  You need a certain amount of traffic before your keywords get assigned their own QS.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Quality Score is a magical metric of Adwords and there are different permutations and combinations based on which it is calculated for the account.

Please note that initially when you enter the keywords, the QS allocated to your keywords will be based on how other advertisers would have used these keywords in their account.

Slowly and gradually when your keywords start building the data and some history is attached to them, then the Quality Score which is allocated is actually specific to your account. So this metric is dynamic in nature and might keep on varying with time.

In order to better understand Quality Score, I would encourage you to read this excellent post by Googler Tanmay:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-sauce/td-...

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Biondi, welcome to the community!

Quality score(QS) of [Grande Latte with no sugar]-

Quality score depends few major factors below-

• Your keyword's past clickthrough rate (CTR)
  • Your display URL's past CTR
  • Your account history
  • The quality of your landing page
  • Your keyword/ad relevance
  • Your keyword/search relevance
  • Geographic performance
  • Your ad's performance on a site
  • Your targeted devices

Is "Grande Latte with no sugar" added newly. If its newly added, then you might need to wait till it accrues sufficient clicks and then performance can be gauged. If it performs well, the QS will be improved.

The keyword "Latte no sugar" might have performed well in the past gaining good QS.

Also you can check how relevant is your ad text to “Grande Latte with no sugar"”. Does the ad text include the word “Grande” word.

The exact match keyword is also not be triggered/shown-

You can check whether “Grande” in added in negative keywords list for some reasons blocking the ad display.

Is same keyword [Grande Latte with no sugar] added in different ad group. If yes, then they might be competing each other and one with good QS is winning the auction.

The best way to check why the ad is not getting triggered for particular keyword is using “Ad preview and diagnosis tool” available in

Campaigns > Keywords > Status column > Hover mouse over the bubble icon for keyword [Grande Latte with no sugar] > Click “Ad preview and diagnosis tool”.

It will give you reasons, why ad is not getting triggered.

Hope this helps!

SJ

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all your kind advice.

In fact, this is my day one of using Adwords.  Just created an account and setting up some keywords.  I think I do not have any historical data by my own.

SJ, you are right.  After double check, I found the word "Grande" is not in the ad text.  But its also neither in the negative section nor another ad group.  The full product name (with Grande) is on the landing page as the title text.

The status is Eligible but "Showing ad right now" is No.  If its not showing, I guess it will get no traffic and the situation won't change at all.  My campaign just run for a week and I am afraid changing the text will trigger another approval process which may take another two days.

Thanks for all your patience to beginner's questions.  

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You don't have to change the ad text. You could add an extra ad with the changed text, and delete the old ad when the new ad is approved.

(But it is always better to have several ad texts running simultaneously  to see which text is converting better ! )