AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score Issues?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Attached is a screenshot of my adwords summary. Why does my keyword 'affordable web design' get only 4/10. It appears several times on my website's landing page and appears twice on my text ad. What's going on? Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author zachzelner
September 2015

Hi again zachselner (and thanks jyelon for making me chuc...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi again zachselner (and thanks jyelon for making me chuckle at the end of a long day - although in truth it's a serious point).

I can't think of a single keyword that could work as a broad match for web design so the simple answer is they must all be phrase, exact or broad match modified.  Where do you start?  In this case, I'd probably look at phrase initially - and the Keyword Tool should be able to offer you plenty of ideas - just make sure you choose "Phrase" from the checkboxes in the left column.  Having said this, it's worth looking at exact matches as well - again the Keyword Tool can provide ideas.

I'd probably split my ad group(s) into two, one for phrase and modified broad, and another for exact, then "promote" keywords to the exact match group(s) if and when this becomes appropriate.  This will allow you to very closely match your ad(s) to the keywords, and perhaps modify the landing page(s)/destination URLs.

Better calls to action?  "Get a Free Quote Today!", "Call us for a free quote!".  You want to encourage people to do something about your ad and make that action attractive, and preferably without obligation.  If you've got a set pricing structure you could include actual examples ("Sites From Just $300!") - but you must ensure that offer is visible, realistic and attainable (i.e. you can't offer a site at $300 unless you can actually get a site for that price and see - clearly - how).

Are you advertising on the Display Network as well?  If so I'd very strongly recommend turning it off for this campaign and then only considering having another campaign purely for the Display Network (GDN).  Although the GDN can work well for some businesses, I'm pretty sure it'll return quite poor results for a web design company.

Added - just seen your screenshot

Be careful with your keywords that you use only those that indicate an intention to buy (from you!).  Many on your list there might be used by people who are just looking for ideas or prices for their own purposes (web design ideas, dynamic web design, great web design).  Try to think of keywords that really will only be used by people who want to hire someone, and someone like you.  The web design genre is packed with searches from people much like you and me who are looking for resources, not purchases, so try to filter them out.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Hi zachzelner, I'd say your #1 problem there is the keywo...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi zachzelner, I'd say your #1 problem there is the keyword match type broad.  Broad match keywords can trigger an ad when any one of the words matches a search query so your ads can be triggering on any search term including the word "web", "design" or "affordable".  This will be - as you can probably imagine - a very very large number of searches, many of which will be totally irrelevant to web design, affordable or not!

I'd recommend you modify the keywords to be at least modified broad match (e.g. +web +design +affordable) and ideally look to use phrase or exact matches to ensure your ads are at least only shown to people largely interested in your services.

Look here for info on match types.

For any clicks you've had you may be able to see the search terms that resulted in clicks.  Click on the button marked "See search terms" (you can just see it in your graphic, to the left of the yellow pop-out where it says "No").  This can help show you the sort of terms that resulted in clicks (i.e. maybe useful ones) and can give you ideas for better focused keywords.  Unfortunately, this won't show you the times your ad was shown and not clicked (at least not every time).

I'd further add that your ad copy could do with a stronger call to action, at the moment it's really just information, nothing that makes me think "Hey, that looks good!".

Do you have some other matches in your list?  I note that your average position is 2.1, which suggests you've got some better keywords than the two shown (#12.1 & #11.9).

Jon

affordable ~= cheap web ~= net design ~= craft   therefor...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

affordable ~= cheap

web ~= net

design ~= craft

therefore:

affordable web design ~= cheap craft netting

Stay away from broad match.

Ok, good to know! But I have more questions :)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Jon,

Thanks so much for such a thorough answer. So could you tell me if phrase match or exact matches is the way to go for me. 

I'm not sure why I have a 2.1... I've attached another screenshot. 

Do you have any ideas for a better call to action?

Forgot to attach image

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oops.. forgot to attach.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author zachzelner
September 2015

Hi again zachselner (and thanks jyelon for making me chuc...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi again zachselner (and thanks jyelon for making me chuckle at the end of a long day - although in truth it's a serious point).

I can't think of a single keyword that could work as a broad match for web design so the simple answer is they must all be phrase, exact or broad match modified.  Where do you start?  In this case, I'd probably look at phrase initially - and the Keyword Tool should be able to offer you plenty of ideas - just make sure you choose "Phrase" from the checkboxes in the left column.  Having said this, it's worth looking at exact matches as well - again the Keyword Tool can provide ideas.

I'd probably split my ad group(s) into two, one for phrase and modified broad, and another for exact, then "promote" keywords to the exact match group(s) if and when this becomes appropriate.  This will allow you to very closely match your ad(s) to the keywords, and perhaps modify the landing page(s)/destination URLs.

Better calls to action?  "Get a Free Quote Today!", "Call us for a free quote!".  You want to encourage people to do something about your ad and make that action attractive, and preferably without obligation.  If you've got a set pricing structure you could include actual examples ("Sites From Just $300!") - but you must ensure that offer is visible, realistic and attainable (i.e. you can't offer a site at $300 unless you can actually get a site for that price and see - clearly - how).

Are you advertising on the Display Network as well?  If so I'd very strongly recommend turning it off for this campaign and then only considering having another campaign purely for the Display Network (GDN).  Although the GDN can work well for some businesses, I'm pretty sure it'll return quite poor results for a web design company.

Added - just seen your screenshot

Be careful with your keywords that you use only those that indicate an intention to buy (from you!).  Many on your list there might be used by people who are just looking for ideas or prices for their own purposes (web design ideas, dynamic web design, great web design).  Try to think of keywords that really will only be used by people who want to hire someone, and someone like you.  The web design genre is packed with searches from people much like you and me who are looking for resources, not purchases, so try to filter them out.

Jon

Hello,   Ultimate thoughts given by Jon Above. :)   I do...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello,

Ultimate thoughts given by Jon Above. Smiley Happy

I do not want to repeat already suggesed ideas, I would suggest you to work on following points:

1) Improve your campaigns/adgroup structure. Currently you are only running two adgroups with many broad keywords. I suggest you to create tightly focused adgroups with Broad match modifier, phrase and exact.

2) Once you accumulate relevant data, look in to search query and add negatives(camapign and Adgroup level) and new keywords.

3) Avg. Position for your keywords are very low. Work on to improve average position. You may switch from Automatic bidding to Manual Bidding and control bids for your keywords.

4) Be specific with the keywords you are using to advertise.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’