2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score - Initial Value and Resetting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Calculation of Quality Score seems to be just another one of those "black holes" at Google where you get some general information but no one (outside Google) really knows exactly how it works.  I've got a few questions even so:

#1 Is initial QS always 6 or is it essentially the rounded average of all current advertisers for the same keyword, or based on some history of average QS for all advertisers for that keyword?

#2 - What triggers creation of an initial quality score?  I have seen that creating a new Campaign with the same keywords as other existing campaigns but with different geographic target starts with a brand new quality score.  This would make sense since better geographically targeted ads could produce higher CTR which equals more revenue for Google so they don't want to penalize the keywords in the new campaign right up front just because they are performing in another campaign.  Yet I recall though if you simple copied a campaign, then paused the old one, if all settings are the same, QS on keywords doesn't reset, or does it? (Haven't tried it in a while but I assume not, Google isn't that stupid.)  Do other campaign setting changes reset QS on identical keywords from previous campaigns like adding new negative keywords to the new campaign?

#3 - Because Google derives revenue by clicks, not impressions, it would make logical sense that the QS is HEAVILY weighted on Click Through Rate (CTR).  What's the second most important factor (keyword in add title, or text?) or are all the factors other than CTR so much less significant that it's hard to tell what comes next?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Re: Quality Score - Initial Value and Resetting

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Pete is correct--QS now starts out at 6 until the keywords enter into auctions, and the main factors of quality score are CTR, Ad relevance, and Landing Page Quality, in no particular order (more here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en&vid=1-635799410838472215-3645851084)

In regards to #2, any new keyword creation will reset the quality score. This is because the quality score you see in AdWords is an average based on that keyword's performance. So adding any new keyword, whether in a current or new campaign, means that keyword will start at the default 6/10 until it has data from entering auctions.

Cassie

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff C,

#1 - My understanding is initial QS will always be 6. This is a recent change.

#2 - In the past, initial QS was based on previous performance within you account and across all accounts.

#3 - It's what Google calls relevance, and by that they mean relevance to the user. CTR is the main factor. Extensions also play a big role, also based on CTR. Ad and landing page relevance also play a part.

Maybe you'll get a better answer for #2 from another contributor.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Pete is correct--QS now starts out at 6 until the keywords enter into auctions, and the main factors of quality score are CTR, Ad relevance, and Landing Page Quality, in no particular order (more here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en&vid=1-635799410838472215-3645851084)

In regards to #2, any new keyword creation will reset the quality score. This is because the quality score you see in AdWords is an average based on that keyword's performance. So adding any new keyword, whether in a current or new campaign, means that keyword will start at the default 6/10 until it has data from entering auctions.

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie!

Could you please clarify on the initial setup of the exp. CTR, LP exp. and relevance when this new QS equals 6? I'm hesitating to relaunch poorly performing keywords. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2015.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.