Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

QS of 8 and poor quality???

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I've set up a new campaign on AdWords since last week end. I'm really surprised of the results as i have almost no impression.

When i run the preview test, i have the answer that the keyword doesn't trigger an add because of a low ad rank.

I'm very surprise of that, as i have another campaign for another client, with exactly the same configuration (targetting) and keywords. The bid is even lower for the second client. The QS of keyword is also lower. But he has more impression.

So, the thing i don't understand : 

For client A, the keyword has a better QS and a higher max bid. But doesn't trigger dur of adrank

For client B, the samekeyword has a lower QS, lower bid, but appears on position 4

Any tips or clue where i have to look for? Improving the QS won't help as they already have "good" QS.

Increasing Bid? Why, while on the client B it's a lower bid that wins (and lower QS).

Thank you for your help.

Alex

Re: QS of 8 and poor quality???

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Alexander

As per my knowledge, each individual account have its own history which also plays a role in deciding the bid for the keyword. For e.g. it two different account have identical campaigns, then account with older history have lower bid than the freshly created account for a same keyword..

My view!

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not so sure. The ad rank depends of the max bid and quality score.
The history of the account, campaigns, relevance of keyword and landing page etc... is integrated in the QS.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Alexandre B,

To me this happened due to location targeting. When I targeted a small location , the Ads didn't show up due to low ad rank and when I targeted a completely different larger location with the same keywords, Ads did show up.

Your QS of 8 is an initial QS granted by default by the system, after a few days and a few impressions later this QS will surely change. 

My advice would be to create a larger location targeting. If for now you are using radius as Geo Targeting, switch to targeting by location name.

Also when you choose location targeting read the numbers that Adwords give you at the parameter "Reach" . For some small locations the "reach" can be really small , 1000-2000 potential searchers. 

-------------

Another theory is to check language targeting from the 2 similar campaigns, maybe your language targeting in the new campaign is missing a language , becoming irelevant to the language of the keyword. This can happen in teritories where multiple languages must be set as targeting, such as french+english .

For example you could be targeting the French language while your keywords are in english, this could be a cause of low relevance, and low ad rank.

-----------

3rd point - now ad rank calculates extensions usage. If you have extensions such as : phone, location and sitelinks in the first campaign where you ad rank is good and in the second new campaign you haven't added extensions yet, this could lead to low ad rank. Read from here about how extensions now impact ad rank : http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/10/improving-ad-rank.html

After you add the basic 3 extensions ( call, location and sitelinks) the ad rank message could change.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Adrian,
Thank you for this suggestions, quite interresting.

- For the targetting, i can't do larger than an entire country (France).
- The language is ok : French (check).
- The difference may come from the extension. The one that doesn't appaear just has sitelink, while the second one has also review extension and social extension.

But it would be strange/unfair that it wouldn't appear.
Client B has the extensions. Keyword 6/10. Max cpc : 0.25€. usually position is 4
Client A has 1 extension. Keyword 8/10 (now). Max cpc 2€...

I'm still investigation and testing some ideas (like Broad >phrase).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Just to ad, Cient A has sitelink extension only active. Social extension has been set up but due to low audience i think it won't be active.
Still the extension is interresting and will investigate.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It is clearly explained here from minute 2 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGe848L9aqw

Short summary : if you have sitelinks implemented ( use at least 6 per ad group according to this : link ) , the system will know that you have a better chance to get clicks so it considers you more relevant, even if your bid is not high enough to get to the top 3 positions.

But your situation cannot be influenced only by sitelinks. 

-----------

I have another theory regarding Ad text relevance. Hoover over the keyword status and read from there what levels you have for "expected CTR" , "ad relevance" and "Landing page experience".

It could be that your new Ads do not contain words from the keywords in them, making the "Ad relevance" component too low .

Again : your initial QS of 8 is going to change soon, maybe even in the next few days.

Not all warnings from the interface are real-time  signals.

For example I could have a "below first page bid" warning , but still I could get traffic, because this signal is only about the desktop bid and if I have a +300% increase for mobile traffic, I can have a desktop bid of 2 cents and a resulting mobile bid of 8 cents. The 8 cents could be enough for the first page bid just on mobiles.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, theoretically ad rank depends upon max. bid, QS, and the new third factor sitelinks. Account history also a important factor in deciding the bid, i am saying this from my experience, it is not in written anywhere. Also a you have mentioned that you have added these keywords recently so i suggest that you wait for some time in order to have exact QS number.

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Adrian.
Will look at these information and will try to make appropriate changements.
Will keep update.