4.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Punctuation in Negative Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does punctuation work in negative keywords? For instance, I do not want my ads to appear if someone's search includes "$100", like "hotel rooms for under $100". Can I specify "$100" as a negative keywords to do this?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Punctuation in Negative Keywords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Web_1,

Adwords does not recoginze the symbol when they appear in keywords, only two exceptions are ampersands and accent marks.  Some of the symbols that can't be used in keywords: , ! @ % ^ * () = {} ; ~ ` <> ? \ |. Since $ is currency symbol, i think it will work as negative keywords but not sure.

Dinesh
My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Web_1,

As an example I tried including $100 as negative with all match types (broad, phrase, exact) and Adwords system accepted them to be included as negatives. So I think you can give it a try and see if that helps in reducing irrelevant traffic for you and also update us here.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Web_1, why don't you try it for yourself, as Pankaj said?

But in order to avoid waiting, and get some quick results (within an hour), why don't you create a new AdGroup, with:

• one phrase match keyword, say "hotel somewhere" (check the keyword tool for some ideas and make sure you don't pick a low search volume one)
  • one negative phrase, say -"$100"

Wait for about an hour, and then try to see your ad, with the Ad Preview Tool, when searching for hotel somewhere under $100.

If you can still see your ad, it doesn't work. If it blocks it, then you have proof it works, and you can use the result across any campaign / ad group.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Web_1,

Adwords does not recoginze the symbol when they appear in keywords, only two exceptions are ampersands and accent marks.  Some of the symbols that can't be used in keywords: , ! @ % ^ * () = {} ; ~ ` <> ? \ |. Since $ is currency symbol, i think it will work as negative keywords but not sure.

Dinesh
My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Web_1,

As an example I tried including $100 as negative with all match types (broad, phrase, exact) and Adwords system accepted them to be included as negatives. So I think you can give it a try and see if that helps in reducing irrelevant traffic for you and also update us here.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Web_1, why don't you try it for yourself, as Pankaj said?

But in order to avoid waiting, and get some quick results (within an hour), why don't you create a new AdGroup, with:

• one phrase match keyword, say "hotel somewhere" (check the keyword tool for some ideas and make sure you don't pick a low search volume one)
  • one negative phrase, say -"$100"

Wait for about an hour, and then try to see your ad, with the Ad Preview Tool, when searching for hotel somewhere under $100.

If you can still see your ad, it doesn't work. If it blocks it, then you have proof it works, and you can use the result across any campaign / ad group.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.