Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Promoting using Adwords as an Affiliate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am looking to promote a popular game as an approved affiliate and would like to use Adwords for traffic. Do I have to setup a unique domain name/website to display my affiliate offer or can I just use my direct affiliate url link to send users directly to the game landing page? Please let me know thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Affiliates on adwords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello girlsgameplant;

"Affiliates and AdWords" is a very sensitive issue, mainly due to some practices affiliate sites execute, considered to be a violation of AdWords policy. These can result of YOUR account being completely suspended - forever.

So, do take caution.

The subject of "Affiliates and AdWords" was discussed on this community in a comprehensive thread. I would strongly urge you to read the following discussion.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

As an addition to Moshe's warning and info on GAN, you're...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As an addition to Moshe's warning and info on GAN, you're also advised to thoroughly get familiar with this help page:

What should I know as an affiliate advertiser?

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=45068

View solution in original post

Hi,   You're advised to just use your direct affiliate ur...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You're advised to just use your direct affiliate url link to send users directly to the game landing page. That way the affiliate network you work with will be enabled to track your traffic and commission.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Affiliates on adwords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello girlsgameplant;

"Affiliates and AdWords" is a very sensitive issue, mainly due to some practices affiliate sites execute, considered to be a violation of AdWords policy. These can result of YOUR account being completely suspended - forever.

So, do take caution.

The subject of "Affiliates and AdWords" was discussed on this community in a comprehensive thread. I would strongly urge you to read the following discussion.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

As an addition to Moshe's warning and info on GAN, you're...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As an addition to Moshe's warning and info on GAN, you're also advised to thoroughly get familiar with this help page:

What should I know as an affiliate advertiser?

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=45068

Im going to step out pretty far here and tell you that mo...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Im going to step out pretty far here and tell you that most of these responces are wrong, and its likely that none of the people responding have ever been an affiliate. 

The first thing that you need to understand is that Google only want quality content to show up in their search results, so you are not going to get by with a single landing page that points to a product. You want a quality site, with content, something that gives back and builds a communitity. 

Be aware that a lot of people in the affiliate game are scammers, stay away from them, ask your affiliate manager a lot of questions so you understand what is risky and what isnt. 

A GREAT way to see a lot of affiliate programs on AdWords is to search for the term Dating. You will see review sites in the results, if you look at these review sites, you will see that they build quality, and put them terms in plain sight. Nothing is hidden and it is a honest way to make a living. 

Good luck out there! 

Hi Guys,   >> most of these responces are wrong, and its...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

>> most of these responces are wrong, and its likely that none of the people responding have ever been an affiliate <<

Hm.... so Oneano thinks that our responses are wrong. (It's correct though that I have not been an affiliate.) What I have on mind is that if he says I'm wrong it would be reasonable to add what is wrong and why so as not to keep me wondering.

The links to the AdWords help pages are unlikely to be wrong. It makes me think that my advice to specify the Destination URL as the affiliate URL of the ad copy versus building your own website must be wrong.

In this respect I'd note that this is an AdWords forum and we don't usually engage in educating askers about AM. (Which is beyond my expertise, honestly.) The AdWords terms and conditions allow you to do what I advised and in this restricted sense you are not supposed to build your own website. In other words, building your own website is not something Google expects you to do.

Whether or not Oneano is correct in saying that strategically it's more advantageous to build your own website is something I can't decide. Gut feeling is he is right. Either way, it's likely to be a good topic in an AM forum but seems off topic in this community.

>> You want a quality site, with content, something that gives back and builds a communitity. <<

Yep, that's also probably correct and also highly important. That way you can avoid being classified as a *bridge page* which is typically frowned on by Google.

Best,

Lakatos 

>> Do I have to setup a unique domain name/website to dis...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

>> Do I have to setup a unique domain name/website to display my affiliate offer...? <<

That was the original query. As I explained above, the asker does not *have* to setup a unique domain name/website because Google does not expect him to do so. He, of course, *can* or *may want to* do so and, as Oneano pointed out, strategically, in the long-term, it may prove fruitful over time, in case he is consistent and clever enough.

Thanks Lakatos  for being curtious when I came across so...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Lakatos  for being curtious when I came across so argumentitivy, Im not great with written communication so I tent to appear rude when I really just want to be helpful. Let me clear some things up and not go too far beyond the spectrum of this forum. 

In the past affiliates have used Adwords for some very negative things like rebills (google it), Google have taken a proactive stance on this and banned many many affilites over it as well.

Landing pages, one page wonders or anything that does not provide quality content to the person searching is not going to work on Adwords for very long. 

You should never direct link to an affiliate offer, while it is allowed by the Adwords terms of service, build a qaulity site with content. 

Google provide RELEVANT results, your adwords ads and landing page MUST be relevant. 

Now, to step outside of the spectrum a bit, If you want to promote dating offers, build a dating blog and optimize it and send it adswords traffic. If you want to promote free ipad offers, build a quality site with content and put up banner ads. 

Search good for places to learn more about affiliate marketing, these forums are not really the best place for it. 

Hi Oneano,   Affiliate Marketing (AM) Forum http://www.ab...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Oneano,

Affiliate Marketing (AM) Forum

http://www.abestweb.com/

No idea what I should say. Actually I like your arguments about quality, relevance and AdWordsSmiley Happy They seem 100% correct as far as I can judge.

I was under the impression that the original asker wanted a short-term solution. What you are suggesting is really attracting, however, it requires a lot of dedicated time input, rather months than weeks.

Okay, I've linked you, guys, to a community above which seems to be a quality AM forum. I think the asker could learn much more there than in this group since we focus on AdWords.

Thanks a lot, Oneano, for taking the time to point us in the right direction. Please don't think you were rude. I did not take you for rued just that wanted to clarify a few things.

Best,

Lakatos

Nothing wrong with affiliate as long as relevant content

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Oneano;

Just to clarify; nothing wrong with affiliate sites as long as relevent and valuable content to the user. Most affiliate sites I have seen, do not have any substantial written content,  needless to say, valuable and relavent...