5.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Product ads set up question.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.  I linked our merchant and adwords accounts a while back but decided to go ahead and test out some product ads in the adwords account yesterday, ahead of the planned switch in september.  Linking Adwords in Merchant center was no sweat but I have not found the information Google implies is essential for finishing the process in several instruction pages:

"To complete this process, you'll need to also link your AdWords campaign to your Merchant Center account. We'll tell you how later in this article."- they do nothing of the kind that I can see anywhere in that or other articles (http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456103&from=1306912&rd=1)

In the instructional video they have there seems to be some differences in the options that they show in the adwords account and what I get in my account, mainly that option to button check "Product Listing Ads.." when creating a new campaign.  Here's a screen shot from the video:

http://i.imgur.com/FLeDh.jpg

- after clicking "New Campaign" and Search Networks Only that is the screen produced in video with Product Ads option clearly shown...

This is a screen shot of my account when I do same:

http://i.imgur.com/7KnWa.jpg

- no button option on right hand side to do same...

I'm puzzled and wondering if I had taken the necessary steps within Adwords to link the merchant account?

I was able to get 2 product ad campaigns up and running by using product extentions and adwords does seem to find my merchant account info for those, but I cannot create a pure product ads campaign for some reason..

Any thoughts?  Am I doing something incorrect?

Thanks!

Ted

So in the video Google provides

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rosiel (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Product ads set up question.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello nycetouch,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

To the best of my knowledge, I could say that you are not getting a direct option of creating PLA campaign from Search network only option because currently these new options are not available in every Adwords account. I have accounts where I could see and could not see the options of campaign types.

So, you will have to create a new campaign and opt in for Google Search Network and then check mark the ad extension for product, where you will have the extension ID of your Google Merchant Center account, which you want to link this campaign with.

For more details on how to further create PLAs, filters, product targets etc... I would encourage you to read this informative article.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rosiel (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello nycetouch,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

To the best of my knowledge, I could say that you are not getting a direct option of creating PLA campaign from Search network only option because currently these new options are not available in every Adwords account. I have accounts where I could see and could not see the options of campaign types.

So, you will have to create a new campaign and opt in for Google Search Network and then check mark the ad extension for product, where you will have the extension ID of your Google Merchant Center account, which you want to link this campaign with.

For more details on how to further create PLAs, filters, product targets etc... I would encourage you to read this informative article.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Gotcha and thank you for the response - I had a feeling it might be something along these lines.  I imagine that something similar is happening with regards to being able to set up a cpc vs. a cpa campaign with those as I had originally heard that product ads were going to be a cpa model only?

Another general question with regards to product ads as I just started up the campaign - do you find it that cpc bidding tends to be higher on avg than regular ppc?  seems it is more competitive in terms of price.

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi nycetouch

I couldn't speak for the bidding competitiveness - this tends to depend on industry and the products themselves. What I can say is that in general performance on PLAs is generally better and convserions do tend to improve. So hopefully even if your bids are increasing for the ads, you should be seeing a better conversion rate on these clicks.

El