AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Product Listing Ads as stand-alone campaign vs within existing campaig

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been out of Adwords for a while, and I'm re-reading about Product Listing Ads at the moment. It seems that Product Listing Ads (PLAs) now can be its own campaign, but I'm wondering what the differences are when you make a stand-alone PLAs versus a PLAs that's included in an existing normal (i.e. uses keywords) campaign.

And how does Auto Targets work? My understanding is that Auto Targets allows your PLA to use a subset of products that you have defined in the Merchant Center data feed (e.g. terms in adwords_label column), but if you set up Auto Target in a regular campaign with no PLAs ad group, does Auto Target do anything?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Product Listing Ads as stand-alone campaign vs within existing cam

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

There is no difference between PLA campaigns created alone or created with the existing campaigns.

Yes, you are right. Auto Target can target your products on various criteria like brands, products type, id, etc.

Yes, auto targets in regular campaign doesn't have any function unless you create a pla ad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Then, my next question is, why is there a need to departmentalize PLAs?

Scenario:

You make PLAs into its own campaign with one ad group, "Ad Group #1" and add all products. Since PLAs don't use keywords, ad display, which include pictures for PLAs, will be done all automatically by Google for all products with just one ad group. The downside is that you won't be able to see separate statistics.

Does this sound right?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, your questions sounds right. My answer would for many large ecommerce stores targeting all products won't work.

So they will try targeting brands in an ad groups, in another they would target product type, in another they may target high revenue products.

The need depends on the user. Many would try having different bids in each ad group and see which one gives out the most conversions.

Siva.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Siva, thanks for your continued answers!

You are right on the bids. This seems like a very important benefit of departmentalizing PLAs, being able to set different bids for different ptoduct types, or brands as you mentioned.

Theoretically speaking, if a very large ecommerce company uses same bids for all of their products, would it have any other incentives (besides ones we're discussed: bids, statistics) to divide the PLAs?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Easy management is the one i can think of as of now.

Siva

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi laketuna,

Theoretically speaking, if a very large eCommerc company uses the same bids for all their products, all their products would need to be in the same price range. I would not bid the same for products with a $20 price as products with a $200 price.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pete, that's also a great point. Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Siva, another question referring back to an earlier post of yours. Where can I find an article that mentions that there's no difference between stand-alone and within-campaign PLAs? I don't think I read about that in the Adwords article.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I don't think i can find an article referencing about this.