2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Product Extensions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, I've seen a drop off in activity on our product extensions, which seemed to perform quite well up until about November of last year and then started to see a decline in impressions. Is anyone else seeing this trend? Or can anyone shed light on why this might be happening? Thanks

Neil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Product Extensions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Perhaps a new kid on the block is outbidding you. Have you tried raising bids a little?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

cheers joel, but I'm seeing hardly any impressions, if I was being outbid i'd just see the average position sliding.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hear you now Niel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, Products Extensions are not really ranked the way search ads are, you see like 5 Product ads on top of a page they are all in same rank you will get more clicks if your price is better. Say you are not of the top 5-6 bidders on the particular product listing you will not get any impressions at all since they are limited to just a few spots. Does this make sense?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joel, you may be getting your "Product Extensions" and your "Product Listing Ads" mixed up, I'm referring to "Product Extensions", which are additional info that can appear with your search ad.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Oh right I mixed up the two.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, easy done.

Anybody got any ideas on why my product extensions have all but stopped working?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi neil s,

I find product extensions to be very persnickety!

First, ad extension will only appear if your ad is in a top of page position. Is your ad still at the top of the page?

Next, if performance of the product extensions is not up to Google targets, they will stop showing. This seems to be a matter of your CTR on the extensions in comparison to your competitor's CTR. I found recovery from this to be very difficult and finally just deleted the extension. Increasing you bid might help, I really don't know about that. It didn't help me much.

I still run PLA's but not the product extension. I worked on the extension for several months before I finally got them to show up, and they stopped showing within a month after that, presumably because the CTR wasn't high enough. The interesting part of this is I started on this because a competitor had extensions showing. I wanted the same thing. His extensions and ours stopped showing at the same time.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Pete,

Product extensions used to show no matter what position your ad was in, but I'm pretty sure we're top 3 enough to see more impressions than we're seeing. Some of the CTRs we saw on product extensions were the highest in the account, so i guess this rules poor CTR out as well.

I'm a bit loath to delete the extensions and re-add them as we'll lose the previous figures (although this is not a massive deal I suppose).

I had a call with a google rep yesterday and showed him the figures, he couldn't answer the question, but went away to check it out, he arranged to call me this afternoon, so if theres a solution, I'll post it on here.

Thanks

Neil

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Just had a call back from Google on this issue, they pointed me in the direction of the merchant centre and showed me that 60% of my products had invalid "unique product identifiers". doh!

I've used the merchant centre contact form to request an exception, hopefully this will sort things out regarding product extensions.