4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problems with Keyword Planner

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

The Keyword Planner is a huge step forward and I definitely admire the progress, but I have had quite a few issues with it.  I am trying to use it to plan medium sized campaign with about 2000 keywords.

The current issue I am having is that in spite of the fact that when I segment by keyword, I can see that I have 1995 keywords, when I try to "SAVE TO ACCOUNT" only about 100 of the keywords actually make it into my adwords account.  Does anyone know of causes/workarounds?

While I am at it, I have a few feature requests-

1) I'd love to be able to choose the time period my historical data is coming from.  I am planning budgets for relatively seasonal keywords so it would be really helpful to be able to compare time frames (weeks or months or a range would be nice)

2) Probably related to the above - I have had my keyword CPC estimates shift on me. So I have been working on this campaign for a couple of months now and now and then my expected clicks for a given budget is suddenly a bit different than it was before--probably because the dataset I am using has changed...which makes sense, but....well it causes me to loose confidence in all estimates because I can't see what has actually caused the change.

3) Saving is a bit scary.  Can you please clarify this process.  It would be really good to be able to save and reopen multiple estimation scenarios.  It is "great" that I can come back to the Keyword Planner and "resume" where I was, but I am worried that I could loose my data in the planner--I am especially worried because it actually happened to me and I had to start over (I am aware that I can export to a spreadsheet, but haven't yet worked out whether/how it would let me revive my planning to the point where I left off--and I shouldn't have to do that anyway.)

4) I sure do wish the Display Planner took budget into account the way the keyword planner does.  

Thanks for listening.

Re: Problems with Keyword Planner

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi eroncohen,

Thanks for the suggestions. You can also send these suggestions directly from your AdWords account. If you go to the Keyword planner tool, you'll see Send Feedback link in the bottom right down corner. Click on it and you can type you product feedback.
Zee
G+

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Thank you for the response. I took your suggestion and send my issue and
feature requests through the adwords interface.
Meanwhile, I am wondering if anyone has any workarounds for the 100
keyword limit I am up against in adding the keywords I have researched
along with their ad groups to my adwords account. It is rather a bummer
that I have done all this work and can't actually use it without manually
copying the adgroups and keywords in.

Has anyone else mentioned this problem? I repeat it every time.

Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm seeing the same issue here. Can't save than 100 keywords over from keyword planner to a campaign.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Matt - You should send a message to the adwords help folks through the Adwords interface. I did that and never heard a word back though. I did find a work-around. You can export an Adwords Editor CSV and then import that into the adwords editor. From there you just upload it to your account...kind of a pain, but it does work and better than wasting all the effort you put in.