1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problems Linking Google Analytics and Adwords Account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I cannot link my analytics data to my adwords account. When I navigate to the linked accounts > google analytics screen it shows my website; however it is greyed out with an error message saying "None of your profiles are available for linking due to your account settings." It will not let me select the profile. The Learn more button just takes me back to a page with basic instructions. I have administrator privileges to both accounts.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Problems Linking Google Analytics and Adwords Account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I know this might sound obvious, but do you use the same email address to access both AdWords & Analytics?

If you do, then click on the AdWords - Tools and Reporting - Google Analytics and check that the accounts are linked there. If not, link them.

Then go into Analytics, admin, data sources and make sure that the AdWords account is linked as a data source.... THEN you should be able to go back into AdWords and select the GA account under linked accounts.

I know it sounds back to front and sounds like you0're doing the samem things - but actually you're not.

When you go from Adwords and access Analytics you are "opening up the path" for your AdWords information to go the Analytics. When you link the Data Sources - you're confirming in Analytics that this is the AdWords profile(s) that you want to report in the Analytics reports when you run the Adwords reports.

and then finally, when you link the GA account back in AdWords you are importing data the other way - so you're bringing such things as page views and bounce rate back into AdWords so that you can see them directly in the interface.

I'm not sure I've explained it perfectly here, but it does make sense.....

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I know this might sound obvious, but do you use the same email address to access both AdWords & Analytics?

If you do, then click on the AdWords - Tools and Reporting - Google Analytics and check that the accounts are linked there. If not, link them.

Then go into Analytics, admin, data sources and make sure that the AdWords account is linked as a data source.... THEN you should be able to go back into AdWords and select the GA account under linked accounts.

I know it sounds back to front and sounds like you0're doing the samem things - but actually you're not.

When you go from Adwords and access Analytics you are "opening up the path" for your AdWords information to go the Analytics. When you link the Data Sources - you're confirming in Analytics that this is the AdWords profile(s) that you want to report in the Analytics reports when you run the Adwords reports.

and then finally, when you link the GA account back in AdWords you are importing data the other way - so you're bringing such things as page views and bounce rate back into AdWords so that you can see them directly in the interface.

I'm not sure I've explained it perfectly here, but it does make sense.....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Chris,

Finally a solution. I've had the same issue where I presumed everything was connected but the "link account" area was still greyed out.

Based on your suggestion, I went to Adwords>>Tools and Analysis>>Analytics>>ADMIN>>Account settings and checked "Data sharing with other Google products"

I was than able to link Analytics and Adwords Cost Data.

Cheers,

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Chris,
Linking the accounts will allow the Analytics account to correctly track the visits and clicks data from AdWords. Currently as the accounts are not linked, Analytics will not be able to attribute the visits to the correct source and it may show the traffic as coming from the direct source.

In order to link the accounts, you would need a common email address that is listed as an administrator on both the AdWords and the Analytics account. To add an email address (that is already listed as an administrator on the AdWords account) to the Analytics account, please follow the below mentioned steps

1. Log in to your Analytics account using an email address that is listed as an administrator on the Analytics account.
2. Click the Admin tab at the top right of any page in Analytics.
3.Click the account to which you want to add an administrator.
4. Click the Users tab.
5. Click + New User.
6. Enter the email address that you would like to add to the Analytics account.
7. Select Administrator below the email address field.
8. Click Create User to create the new user.

3. To link your AdWords account with the Analytics account, please follow the steps provided at this link.

4. After linking the accounts, please enable cost source by following the below mentioned steps:
Click the Admin tab at the top right of any Analytics page.
Click the account to which you want to import cost data, and then select the relevant property.
Use the Profile drop down menu to select the profile.
Click the Profile Settings tab.
Under AdWords Cost Source Settings, check the Apply cost sources box.
Click the Apply button.

Hope it helps you. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We have had the same trouble and created a "How-To" to help others having the same issue: http://ppcprofessionals.com/ppc-blog/how-to-link-google-analytics-and-adwords/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am looking to make use of the Paid & Organic report in Adwords. How do you create campaigns for multiple accounts? Say I have Webmaster Tools for SIteA, SiteB, and SiteC linked to my Adwords account. How do you create a 'campaign' that tracks each separately?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thank you.