Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with user name - a different user name shows up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I had trouble linking my Adwords and Analytics accounts - I had posted it here : http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/analytics/lRDXDZ9_5eY

In the Adwords editor, when I tried to import my account, I have a different person's name appearing in the "Account Name" section, but the customer-id is the same as that what shows up in my account.

How do I go about this issue ?

Thanks,

Ram

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramnath Babu T
September 2015

Re: Problem with user name - a different user name shows up

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
An account may be given an arbitrary description. It is this description, when set, that Editor shows as the account name (otherwise it shows the company name from billing settings, and if that's not available either, then just the 10-digit customer ID).

This description is not exposed to users in "normal" AdWords online interface, only in My Client Center (used by advertising agencies and such to manage multiple accounts in one place, usually those of their clients). Agencies often set the description to make it easier to navigate the list of accounts they manage.

I'm not sure how that other person's name made its way into your account's description. Perhaps your account was managed by an agency at some point in the past, and that's where the description was set. You could probably call support and they should be able to change or remove it for you.

In any case, this piece of text is purely cosmetic, just for show. It doesn't affect the serving of the account in any way, shape or form. Whatever problem you may have with Google Analytics is not caused by this text.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramnath Babu T
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
An account may be given an arbitrary description. It is this description, when set, that Editor shows as the account name (otherwise it shows the company name from billing settings, and if that's not available either, then just the 10-digit customer ID).

This description is not exposed to users in "normal" AdWords online interface, only in My Client Center (used by advertising agencies and such to manage multiple accounts in one place, usually those of their clients). Agencies often set the description to make it easier to navigate the list of accounts they manage.

I'm not sure how that other person's name made its way into your account's description. Perhaps your account was managed by an agency at some point in the past, and that's where the description was set. You could probably call support and they should be able to change or remove it for you.

In any case, this piece of text is purely cosmetic, just for show. It doesn't affect the serving of the account in any way, shape or form. Whatever problem you may have with Google Analytics is not caused by this text.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Igor,

I am an individual - so having someone else's name for my account is kinda spooky.

Your suggestion helped - I have linked the Adwords account with the "other" name (with my adwods client id though) with my Analytics account.