AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with understanding Global Monthly Search column. Help needed...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! Yestarday I aksed few questions so thx for those who answered me. I am just starting with Google Adwords therefore I still have few interesting questions to ask.

Reading through Goolge help section I found that Google monthly searches are representing results for specific keyword with following parameters: average 12 months searches,  all locations, all languages, all devices and finally all KWD match types (broad, phrase, exact).

OK let's now type my keyword. For this test I typed "apple".  Why do I get different Global monthly searches for broad, phrase and match types when Google specifically said that Global monthly searches data is for all keyword match types? Funny thing is that when I change devices to mobile, data changes again even though it shouldn't since Global monthly searches should inlcude all devices.  Language seems to work because when I change languages the data remains the same.                        

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Problem with understanding Global Monthly Search column. Help needed...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aerotape,

>> Why do I get different Global monthly searches for broad, phrase and match types when Google specifically said that Global monthly searches data is for all keyword match types? <<

That's the wrong interpretation of the help files. The right understanding is that you may select any of the matching types, however, the results you get will be in line with the match type you selected. 

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Aerotape,

I think you need to to first understand how keyword tool works and what are the different areas which you can search for different variations in the sense that whether you want searches for desktops and laptops or you want to analyze how particular key phrases performed on mobile devices. 

Similarly, when you change the match type, Global search volume, local search volume, competition, approximate CPC etc would change relatively. 

You can read more about different columns of keyword tool in this article and read here about how to use keyword tool.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aerotape,

>> Why do I get different Global monthly searches for broad, phrase and match types when Google specifically said that Global monthly searches data is for all keyword match types? <<

That's the wrong interpretation of the help files. The right understanding is that you may select any of the matching types, however, the results you get will be in line with the match type you selected. 

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Aerotape,

I think you need to to first understand how keyword tool works and what are the different areas which you can search for different variations in the sense that whether you want searches for desktops and laptops or you want to analyze how particular key phrases performed on mobile devices. 

Similarly, when you change the match type, Global search volume, local search volume, competition, approximate CPC etc would change relatively. 

You can read more about different columns of keyword tool in this article and read here about how to use keyword tool.

Just a thought!

Pankaj