Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with search terms

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I hope that somebody can help with my problem.

My advert seem to appear when search terms are used which do not resemble my keywords at all. (I am providing a service in London and people who are searching for my profession but in another place like Norwich see my advert and unfortunately click on it) I am paying lots of money for this. Does anybody know what I can do?

I have already excluded many words and terms and my keywords do include the place where I work.

Help please!

Thank you!

Elisabeth

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elisabeth A
September 2015

Re: Problem with search terms

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Elisabeth A

First of first, I think you need to set the right location targeting for stopping wasting more money.

I suppose you only want to limid the user in London to see this ads. So go to your Campaign, and click Setting tab, and click All Setting sub-tab, and put London here only:

Capture.PNG

Once this is solved, you can start to re-arrange your keywords to the next level - that will take quite a lot time though.

Good luck!

Jason

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Elisabeth A,

Targeting ads to the right customers is most important part of a successful PPC advertising campaign. Right Keywords selection and location is two different ways of targeting your ads.

Choose Keywords match type (Exact or phrase match ) that is relevant to your product or service so your ads appear when customers use those terms to search. If you are targeting local business make sure you have to use advance targeting option (Areas within a country - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043 ) in Google Adwords. As Ashish has suggested that use "People in my targeted location" option is right option to target your audience. Also you can define your location targeting and location exclusion settings.

You can also exclude keywords as negative keywords to prevent non-relevant trigger of your ads.

More About location targeting you can use this link  - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038

Thanks

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elisabeth,

Your ad can appear on search terms which do not exactly resemble your keywords if you are using Broad match or Phrase match variations.

I am assuming you are targeting London as location to show your ads to people from London.

If you are providing a service in London, people from outside London can still see your ad if they show interest in your targeted location. This can happen if you are using "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location (recommended)" option in your campaign settings under Advance Location Option. In order to prevent this, use "People in my targeted location" option and then anyone physically located outside the location you are targeting will not see your ad.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Ashish
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Elisabeth A

First of first, I think you need to set the right location targeting for stopping wasting more money.

I suppose you only want to limid the user in London to see this ads. So go to your Campaign, and click Setting tab, and click All Setting sub-tab, and put London here only:

Capture.PNG

Once this is solved, you can start to re-arrange your keywords to the next level - that will take quite a lot time though.

Good luck!

Jason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks. That helped!
Best wishes,
Elisabeth

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks! that was helpful!
Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Elisabeth A,

Targeting ads to the right customers is most important part of a successful PPC advertising campaign. Right Keywords selection and location is two different ways of targeting your ads.

Choose Keywords match type (Exact or phrase match ) that is relevant to your product or service so your ads appear when customers use those terms to search. If you are targeting local business make sure you have to use advance targeting option (Areas within a country - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043 ) in Google Adwords. As Ashish has suggested that use "People in my targeted location" option is right option to target your audience. Also you can define your location targeting and location exclusion settings.

You can also exclude keywords as negative keywords to prevent non-relevant trigger of your ads.

More About location targeting you can use this link  - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!
It's amazing how much response I get in this forum! It's great help!