Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problem sharing Google Adwords account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

A colleague of mine wanted to share her Google Adwords account with me, so we can participate in (and monitor) the same Google Adwords campaigns. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem sharing the Adwords account. I have already have an Adwords account which is linked to my personal Gmail address. It seems impossible to accept/connect a second Google Adwords account (from my colleague) to my personal Gmail address. I receive the following error message: "This email is already associated with the maxiumum number of AdWords accounts. To proceed please enter a different email address."

Am I doing something wrong or is there a certain solution? Or should I really create a new email address if I want to access the Google Adwords account of my colleague?

Thanks so much for your advice,

Kathleen

1 Expert replyverified_user

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: Problem sharing Google Adwords account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kathleen,

You're not doing anything wrong, that's just how it is. One email address, one account.

If you anticipate doing this often, I'd recommend an MCC account under a new email address. You can then add multiple individual accounts to that account for management.

If you want to use the gmail address as your main login, you'll have to get that email off your account first. In that case, invite your new email address. Accept that invitation. Log back in with your gmail address and promote the new user to admin. Then log back in as the new user and remove the gmail address. You can now use that gmail address to create an MCC account.

Be careful, and best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

I do have the same problem with the email address like Kathleen - but I am using a MCC account (as you reccomend to Kathleen). A customer invited me with via the email address of our MCC account, but we get the same error notification.

Best!
Pierre

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

I have the same issue here. At first I thought maybe Google was confused because I moved my personal account to a Google business account. I went ahead and deleted the personal account today but that didn't resolve the issue. This is the error I still get.

This email is already associated with the maximum number of AdWords accounts. To proceed please enter a different email address.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Dan K,

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you deleted the email account, the email address still remains associated with the AdWords account. Even if you have deleted the AdWords account itself, the email address remains associated with that account.

As far as I know, one email address can be used in only one AdWords account. That may have changed, but I'm not aware of that change.

I've written how to do this many times, as well as other TC's. It's a little complicated. Do a search in the forum on how to remove your email address from an account. There must be at least one admin left in the account.

1 get a throw-away email address from gmail.
2. Log into your AdWords account with your email address.
3. Send an invitation to the new email address.
4. Log out of AdWords.
5. Find the email invitation in the new account and click on the link to accept the invitation.
6. On the web page that comes up, check "I already have an account".
That will add your new email address to the account.
7. If you are logged in, log out.
8. Log back in to your AW account with the old email address.
9. Confirm the invitation accepted and promote the new user to admin.
10. Log out of AW.
11. Log in with the new email address
12. Remove the old email address from the account.

Your email address should now be available to use in another account. Pay close attention to step #6 or you'll have to start all over.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

The problem was that I was using a personal account which was switched to a Google for Business account. At the point of that switch two email addresses existed. One personal and the other business. The email address I moved to my business account was what I used to log set up my MCC account. I should have not hit any limitations there since here are only 5 or 6 accounts linked to my MCC account. In the end I did get access but only because I sent a linking request. The other way around still fails.

-------------------------------------------------

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, in order to remove account specifics and/or personal contact information. This is done to protect account security and privacy.