AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problem finding the right keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am doing my first campaign and I used the keyword planner to find the right keywords. Its a campaign for mobile dev company and I am amazed how high are the bids for the keywords. And if I try the long tails it says there is not enough searches for that keywords. So is my only option to give high bids and live with the fact that this area has too much competition?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problem finding the right keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jiří S, some Keywords do have relatively high bids associated with them, however, the bids shown in the Keyword Planner are just estimates and you may find that when you actually use these terms in your own Account you don't pay as much.  There's no guarantee of this, but it's worth testing.

Usually, when Keyword bids are high it's because the potential Return on Investment (ROI) is also high.  In other words, getting a positive result from the Ads more than pays for their high cost, so it's very important that you make sure you are measuring success in as many ways as possible and checking your ROI.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You've gotta spend money to make money, right?

Well I was able to choose a few words that aren't that expensive, and I have bid a little above the "Estimated first page bid", but at the keywords it says "Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results."

And when I click the ad itself it says: Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score.

I suspect its because of low cpc but how could it be low when I bid above the est. first page bid?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It could also be your Quality Score, of course. What sort of score are you seeing for these Keywords?
AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits