4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Problem Copying and Pasting Ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm having a problem when I try and copy and paste an ad or multiple ads from one ad group to another. I'm able to select the adverts I want to copy and then I get the confirmation notice that the ads have been copied, but then when I try to paste them in another ad group it says 'please copy a campaign, ad group, ad or creterion first', suggesting that it's somehow dropped from the clipboard. 

First off I thought this must be a browser problem so I changed from Chrome to IE but still get the same problem.

Then I thought it might be a problem with Windows clipboard so I made an icon that clears the clipboard used it before trying to copy the ads. Still got the same message.

Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mr H
August

Google Employee
# 19
Google Employee

Your account is enrolled into an experiment where expanded text ads can have an additional description line ("normal" expanded text ads only have one).

Ads with two description lines are not currently supported in Editor, and won't be unless and until the feature is promoted from experimental to full availability. In the online interface, there's limited support for them - some things work and others don't. Copy/paste is the one that doesn't.

So basically, you can stick to one description line, or make use of the experimental feature and learn to live with the limitations.

Before you ask, I have no idea what the plans are for this experiment. I only discovered it when researching reports from Editor users that some ads don't show up in Editor.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Mr H

Is the adgroup in question within the same campaign of the other adgroup you are copying ads from? 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It is the same campaign, but a different target CPA - I changed the CPA so they matched but it still wouldn't paste..

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

are you using the new UI or old one?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Using the old one as the ads won't display in the new interface.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

are you pasting at the right level? 

If you are copying ADs, then you highlight ADs, click copy.

Then you navigate to the campaign you want to put them in, check the AD Group Box, then paste.

You don't click into the ad group, you paste into it.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I was clicking into the ad group and then trying to paste under 'ads', but I tried the way you suggested - navigating to the campaign (although it's the same campaign), then just checking the ad group I wanted to paste the ads in, then pasting, but I get the same message..

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Ive just been looking around the community to see if this is an error that has happened before and i cant see anything relating to it.  Its not one ive come across before myself.

It may be a caching issue so id try logging out, clearing history etc then attempt it again.

If that doesn't work then try contacting a google live chat rep, see if it is something they can replicate.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks George but it's still not working, cleared all cache, history, passwords etc, rebooted, cleared clipboard again, tried in Firefox too but still getting the same error. 

How do I contact a google live chat rep?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Sorry I couldn't help any further pal would be interested to know how it was solved when you get there.

Chat is top right, there is a cog you can click on, the drop down has option called 'help' which options up a little hover menu on the old UI.

there will be 3 options Phone, Live chat and Email.

Live chat is usually available and only shaded out when they are crazy busy with no reps available.  But I tend to find 99% of the time there is someone there and great with configuration help and things like this.