AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Prevent clicks on my ads when they google my site name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Im working with a Realtor who uses google ads express.

I notice that in their case, 60 percent of those who click their ads are people who googled the site name and where headed to that site anyways, but end up clicking the ad out of simplicity I guess.

Is there a way to prevent my ad from showing when people google my site name? Or maybe the community has input on that? Im sorry, but I dont know what to search for to find further details. Tips on that could be useful as well.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua B
September 2015

Re: Prevent clicks on my ads when they google my site name?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason Zhang,

I would be happy to jump in here. Completely agree with whatever @petebardo said. And yes, it's not just theory, there are research findings to validate it -

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2011/08/studies-show-search-ads-drive-89.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Joshua,

Do you know what those 60 percent search for to get to their website? Sort out the keyword list, and disable all of them in Adwords Express then the money would be saved.

Hope this helps!

Jason

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Joshua B,

There's another way of looking at this. Would you want only your competitors ads showing up when potential customers search for your web site?

In most cases, the organic listing supports the ad and the ad supports the organic listing. You could end up with a much lower CTR on the organic listing if your ad does not show on the same SERP. What if half of the 60% goes to your competitor(s) because your ad doesn't show?

You could add your URL as a negative either phrase or exact to stop your ad from showing. If you decide to do that, key a close watch on clicks from organic.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is a good point. I thought there could be negative effects to this. Thank you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Petebardo,

I like your idea very much and think that's the point to do so. I also read some blogs/comments about that before.

However could you share some of the case with the data about this? It seems it's more like a theory that you're speculating. What if is a good guess, but what if it's not? Or what if it's only happened in some industry and some are not?

I think we need be more specific here to see this question through.

Thank you so much in advance!

Jason
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jason Zhang,

I would be happy to jump in here. Completely agree with whatever @petebardo said. And yes, it's not just theory, there are research findings to validate it -

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2011/08/studies-show-search-ads-drive-89.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ratan-Jha

Thank you so much! That's very helpful Smiley Very Happy

Best,

Jason