Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Position on Screen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am completely new to Google Adwords and am looking at setting this up for my site but I have a question.

From what I have read the position of your website on the screen following an Adword click will either be on the right of the screen or in the main body of the screen above the organic search results. My question is can I setup my Adword campaign so that my website will always appear in the main body of search results, that is to say not on the right side of the screen. If so how do I tell Google to do this with my Adword campaign?

Thanks

Lou.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Position on Screen.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lou,

Top position ads need a high QS and a high ad rank. The only way to "guarantee" top position is to bid high. That might not be a good idea for youas a goal.

In general, top position ads get a better CTR, but not necessarily a better conversion rate. And, depending on your competition, you may need to bid more than you are willing to spend on a click. That's never a good idea.

I suggest you place your bid at the most you are willing to pay for a click, considering conversion rates. From there, your ad copy and keywords take over to influence your CTR. As your CTR goes up, in general, so does your ad's position on the page.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lou, 

Thanks for posting your questions. AdWords is self-managed tool that allows your ads can appear on different places across the web. Please be aware that AdWords is auction based and a certain position for your ad will not be guaranteed. So the answer to your question: "Can I setup my Adword campaign so that my website will always appear in the main body of search results, that is to say not on the right side of the screen" is no.

I'd recommend first to read these Help Center articles as a quick introduction to AdWords. There is also an insightful article written by Jon, the AdWords Community Top Contributor: Where to Start (I) - Before you begin.

Please come back if you have any questions or something is not clear.

Best,

Zee
G+

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Lou

Like you mentioned that you are new to adwords and already looking forward for a "top" position on the google SERP page.

I would like to mention that the top positions are awarded to only ads which have a high "ad rank" and also the "max cpc" and "quality score" of your keyword which is eligible for triggering the ad needs to be above a minimum "threshold level".

So,first focus on maintaining the max CPC to a level which you can afford and having highly relevant ad text,keywords and landing page. In this way you are going to achieve a good position if not at the top and thus you will enjoy decent exposure in terms of the number of people who click and visit your website.

Then after some time when your ads and keywords accumulate a "good" performance history,you can think of experimenting with some high bids to achieve the "top position".

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mudit

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

As others have mentioned, ads at the top usually require both a high CPC bid and a high QS.  Keep an eye on your top of page impressions to see how you're doing.  Also, be aware of the top of page bid estimates.  Start here to learn about those metrics:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188877