3.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Policy on landing pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After reading your guidelines about "destination URL" and "display URL" I am still confused.

Q1. If a Google ad leads to a landing page, and from there to a webpage, which is the display and which is the destination?

Q2. Now, say my landing page is hosted by Unbounce; it would have an unbounce.com domain, which would be different from the webpage domain, wouldn't it?  In this case, would my ad be rejected?

Q3. Can a Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn URL be used in lieu of an actual webpage URL?

Q4. Is it permitted to use a landing page to get people to sign up for either a freestanding newsletter that is not part of a website, or that is being used as a temporary solution while the underlying website is under construction?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Policy on landing pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
The rule is simple: the landing page is the page on which the user "lands" after all redirects. This should be identical to the display URL.

Read the following help article,  which  include a clear and illustrated explanation

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en&ref_topic=1626336&guide=1316546

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Policy on landing pages

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Luis S,

Q1. A landing page is the webpage the user first hits after clicking on your ad.

Q2. If the landing page is hosted by Unbounce with unbounce.com domain, the display URL must be on unbounce.com. You can include other stuff with the display URL, but this is required.

Q3. Twitter, Facebook and LinkeIn are all web pages. Yes, you can do that. Whether that's a wise decision is another question.

Q4. You may not advertise with AdWords any site that has any part that returns an "under construction" page, anywhere.

One other thing. AdWords is not easy or a get-rich program. It takes work and business knowledge. From your post, it sounds like you may have gotten that idea from somewhere. AdWords is effective for advertisers with their own web sites and a business to promote. It's not very effective for affiliate advertisers or for people trying to sell products from a web site that is not their own.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords