AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Please Help w/ my Situation: Moving from 3rd Party to Inhouse

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our company wants to move our adwords from a 3rd party vendor to inhouse. The account has ben active for 10 years and we spend an average of 50K dollars a month.

What I want to do is, not take over the account and ruin it. We have a simialr website that we use to test things. My idea was to test Adwords on this site with a smaller budget and start learning without screwing up the current account, but it is against the guidlelines to create a new account since all the products are the same and so is pricing.

That means I have to test on the current account and the 3rd party vendor can see that we are testing. 

This is really not good. I recently went to one of the 101 and 201 Adwords trainings and have been studying, but ned help. How do I test Adwords without ruining a good account in good standing and the great QS that we currently have?

Is it possible to get an exception from Google? I want to build an account from the ground up with no info on the current campaign, in order to learn how to do this every step of the way.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Please Help w/ my Situation: Moving from 3rd Party to Inhouse

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello ONONER12,

You are most welcome to learn Adwords and the Community is there to back you up Smiley Happy

Before you get into the details, I would caution you that Adwords is a complex advertising platform in the sense when you move from beginners to advanced level. And also as you have a big account with lots of history attached with it, so make sure that you are well aware of what it's all about Adwords.

Adwords Wiki Section here gives you immense knowledge from finest Adwords experts who have shared their experiences and Wikis in details.

Adwords beginners guide provides informative notes about everything.

And as always Adwords Community would love to hear from your side on any assistance you need regarding Adwords.

Happy Reading & Wish you Success!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Great, if you own the account than it is yours and personally, I would do everything I could to keep it.  That history is quite valuable.  It will eliminate quite a bit of work for you in keyword development as you have the history to show you what is working as you hoped.  You can easily refine your ad groups, ads and landing pages as you see fit. 

Well, it would appear to me that perhaps, you may already understand that there are changes needed to your current account that you could indeed implement. 

The new site/brand, if promoting the same products, can be advertised from the same account, perhaps not the greatest plan or idea but it is acceptable to promote multiple domains from one account, just not two separate accounts.  The policy is in place to eliminate one advertiser from landing two ad slots for any one given search query.  If you have two sites being promoted from one account, only one ad will show at a time. 

My suggestion, keep on your learning process and if your plan is to take over your account, take it over and learn as you go. There is a little bit of risk but as you said, the account is in need of improvements, you can certainly be the one to make these improvements without jeopardizing the parts of your account that are functioning properly. 

Unfortunately, live testing/learning accounts don't really exist in this type of environment. 

Please remember, you can always build up new, revised campaigns within that same account if needed.  A new account doesn't give you any benefit in that manner.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI Ononer12,

Do you actually own the account that you are having managed by this 3rd party?  For instance, was an email address that you own used to create the account and/or does your email address have administrative privileges?  Is your billing information on the account?

If you actually own the current AdWords account and there are no clauses in your 3rd party agreement that keep you from obtaining the account and full ownership, I would suggest that you take it over.  10 years of history and refinements are most likely going to perform much better than starting over.

If you do not own the account and cannot obtain full ownership for the account, you may be able to cancel or end your 3rd party contract (not sure what that looks like) and have the AdWords account stopped/canceled as well.

Technically if you don't own the first account, opening a new account is not against policy.  A simple call to AdWords support should clear this up for you. But I would strongly suggest that you not throw away the 10 years of history and work.  Duplicating all that work will cost you lots of time and money and may not be worth it while you 'learn' the AdWords system. 

IMO, small tweaks and management of a well established account is much easier than starting over. 

Hope I answered your question here. 

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We do own the account. 

We want to really learn adwords, because we are currnetly building a new site and brand in the same niche that is just amazing from a marketing Organic/Social/PPC standpoint. It gives us a lot of features we currently do not have.

Anyway, we just dont want to mess the account up, and we want to learn how to optimize a campaign and increase orders, something we feel can be done, but isnt being done by the current Vendors.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello ONONER12,

You are most welcome to learn Adwords and the Community is there to back you up Smiley Happy

Before you get into the details, I would caution you that Adwords is a complex advertising platform in the sense when you move from beginners to advanced level. And also as you have a big account with lots of history attached with it, so make sure that you are well aware of what it's all about Adwords.

Adwords Wiki Section here gives you immense knowledge from finest Adwords experts who have shared their experiences and Wikis in details.

Adwords beginners guide provides informative notes about everything.

And as always Adwords Community would love to hear from your side on any assistance you need regarding Adwords.

Happy Reading & Wish you Success!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Great, if you own the account than it is yours and personally, I would do everything I could to keep it.  That history is quite valuable.  It will eliminate quite a bit of work for you in keyword development as you have the history to show you what is working as you hoped.  You can easily refine your ad groups, ads and landing pages as you see fit. 

Well, it would appear to me that perhaps, you may already understand that there are changes needed to your current account that you could indeed implement. 

The new site/brand, if promoting the same products, can be advertised from the same account, perhaps not the greatest plan or idea but it is acceptable to promote multiple domains from one account, just not two separate accounts.  The policy is in place to eliminate one advertiser from landing two ad slots for any one given search query.  If you have two sites being promoted from one account, only one ad will show at a time. 

My suggestion, keep on your learning process and if your plan is to take over your account, take it over and learn as you go. There is a little bit of risk but as you said, the account is in need of improvements, you can certainly be the one to make these improvements without jeopardizing the parts of your account that are functioning properly. 

Unfortunately, live testing/learning accounts don't really exist in this type of environment. 

Please remember, you can always build up new, revised campaigns within that same account if needed.  A new account doesn't give you any benefit in that manner.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response. 

We could technically run ads to this test site by creating a new campaing for the site? The Vendor would know we were doing this, so that is too bad.

Can we create all new adgroups and keywords and everything for the new site within the existing campaign?

Also, some one needs to talk to those Certified Adwords Seminar people. They told me I could have two accounts to do this. Good thing I checked for myself.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

We could technically run ads to this test site by creating a new campaing for the site? Yes you can.

Can we create all new adgroups and keywords and everything for the new site within the existing campaign? Well you would create new campaigns for this but yes you can accomplish this in the same account.

Also, some one needs to talk to those Certified Adwords Seminar people. They told me I could have two accounts to do this. Good thing I checked for myself. Well there are certain (very few) circumstances that allow for multiple accounts, I would not be the one to answer that for you, it would be best that you contact AdWords Support to find out directly from the source.

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks.

This is a massive undtertaking. The curent account has 40K keywords!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom, how does one move an account from a third party. Is there a specific process or do you just call customer support?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Compassed,

Basically two things need to happen.

First, you will need to be granted administrative access.

Second, the 3rd party will need access revoked.

It's definitely not always that simple and will depend highly on how the account was created and managed.

-Tom