Guide Me
star_border

Please Help me with Negative Keywords!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I am running my campaign keywords in broad match for better impression and clicks because of my budget is very low. But broad match can show my ad for any of the word appear in my keyword. For example my keyword is women dresses for sale. I do not want to show my ad when user search has only "women" or only "for sale" words i.e, without dresses other words relevant to my business. Could anyone help me how can i exclude these words in negative keywords. If i include women and for sale words in negative keywords.. my ad will not show when user search for my actual keyword women dress for sale(because it contains the negative words women and sale)? how my ads will trigger if i select any match type of negative keywords.. Any one.. please help me out!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

James.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Please Help me with Negative Keywords!

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
James,

you can use the Exact match brackets [ ] to exclude a negative keyword.

Google gives a full answer all about Negative keyword matches here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836

as well as a former similar question and solution here
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/negative-keywords/m-p/255397#M17827

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi James,

I agree with you If you will use woman and for sale as negative keywords in broad match, then your ads will not show when user search your actual keywords. But If you use the same keywords in exact match then ads will be show to if user serach for woman dress for sale. You should use negative keywords in exact match. Go with this procedure.
1. Sign in adwords account.
2. Select campaign in which you want to add negative keywords.
3. Select adgroup and click on keywords tab.
4. Below keywords tab click negative keywords.
5.Add negative keywords
6. Click on box and choose exact match & save it

Hope it helps you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi James,

Let me break up your question and help you understand better -

"I am running my campaign keywords in broad match for better impression and clicks because of my budget is very low. But broad match can show my ad for any of the word appear in my keyword. "

>>Broad keywords can trigger a random list of keywords if not blocked properly by negative keywords. Since they trigger a large number of keywords, there will be a high number of impressions. But, you ads might not be relevant for most of these words... so the clicks will not be as high. which means you will have a low CTR. This inturn negatively effects your QS

"For example my keyword is women dresses for sale. I do not want to show my ad when user search has only "women" or only "for sale" words i.e, without dresses other words relevant to my business. Could anyone help me how can i exclude these words in negative keywords. If i include women and for sale words in negative keywords.. my ad will not show when user search for my actual keyword women dress for sale(because it contains the negative words women and sale)? how my ads will trigger if i select any match type of negative keywords.."

>> Negative exact match can be used. but this will be effective only if you have a large list of negatives and your structuring is perfect so that you dont end up blocking the keywords you want to show up for. 

But ideally, I would not recommend you use broad keywords at all... Since you have a low budget, you do not want to waste your money on random keywords. I would rather spend my money on keywords that are more relevant to my business. Showing my ads to those people at all times(for maximum number of impressions) is better than to show for more number of keywords which may not be relevant. 

Using match types more effectively is important specially when you have a low budget. Improve your keyword basket by checking out your search terms report etc.. and have a long list of restrictive(exact/phrase match type) keywords so that you improve on your target audience (get more impressions) and they will be more number of clicks since these impressions will be very relevant to your business.

Learn more from the Google Help Center: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Heres another blog that I would recommend: http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to/2274277/google-adwords-keyword-match-types-and-negatives-the...

Please feel free to write back if you need any more help on match types.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Shweta,

Thanks for your help! I had a doubt about exact match (Exact match means Google will show ads to the exact keyword only, it will not show ads for any synonyms or prefixes to the keyword)

If i use "women" & "for sale" as negative keywords in exact match.. then my ad will not trigger when user search with "women" or "for sale" as their search queries (only two possibilities for searches my ad will not show i.e, women & for sale because of exact match) If i use them in phrase match or broad match then my ad will not trigger for my actual keyword.? What to do?

@ Suman.. thanks for response.. could you please give me your ideas in this regard too..

Thank in advance...

Regards,
James