Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Placements with no Topics assigned

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I noticed in the Display Planner how many big sites in my country have no topics assigned.

Does this mean that if I target a Topic or a sub-topic , such sites and all their pages are excluded because the system does not make an automatic decision about every sub-page to match it to a topic  ?

Is there an "Unknown" category assigned for topics ?

Re: Placements with no Topics assigned

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi mate,

I think that just because they don't necesarily have a topic assigned (as per the planner), doesn't mean you can't get your ads on there.

An "unknown" category would be a honey pot for Google and a Scooby Doo adventure for the advertiser with lots of mystery and surprises.

1 big but missed Q so far, do these big sites display Google ads? They may not be in the network.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes they display Ads . They are on the Display Planner but when I select one to view the inventory for example per device , in the upper side it shows Topics : with no data . Other sites have 2 to 5 topics in that list.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Is this causing you you to have pitching problems with clients or more on the the optimisation process? Personally, I need hardcore, raw data to make my decisions with so if a site suits my market, I'll give it a try and then make my mind up.;

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to know this as a basic configuration problem :

1) If I choose a topic, only sites with that topic assigned in the Display Planner will be eligible for impressions ?

2) Sites with no apparent assigned topic are excluded from all Topic targeting ?

3) Are Topics defined globally by the site owner for all the site pages or does the system match each of the pages with 1 different Topic based on the page content ?

4) If for question 2 the answer is NO, then Sites with no assigned global Topic can still match a sub-page to a Topic by an algorithmic means of selection ?

Here is an example for searching "human resources" in Australia ( as a keyword not as a category found in the Display Planner) :

a) The general results of the search ordered descending by traffic :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kXqO3eH9vJanJxRVBWUlpxeW8/edit?usp=sharing

b) A click on the 2nd ranked site which is anonymous by the way, shows 2 topics :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kXqO3eH9vJQm1hSU95NHBwTzA/edit?usp=sharing

c) A click on the 3rd ranked site , also anonymous, shows NO assigned topics :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kXqO3eH9vJZ3NtLVBJYW0wY28/edit?usp=sharing

(interesting how 90% of that 3rd site traffic is Mobile)

also the 4-th site is anonymous with no topics for the same search.

The same thing I see with non-anonymous placements in my country. They are not very many, but still I would like to know how the Topics work, because right now I feel that I do not understand this very well.