AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Placements with no Topics assigned

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I noticed in the Display Planner how many big sites in my country have no topics assigned.

Does this mean that if I target a Topic or a sub-topic , such sites and all their pages are excluded because the system does not make an automatic decision about every sub-page to match it to a topic  ?

Is there an "Unknown" category assigned for topics ?

Re: Placements with no Topics assigned

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi mate,

I think that just because they don't necesarily have a topic assigned (as per the planner), doesn't mean you can't get your ads on there.

An "unknown" category would be a honey pot for Google and a Scooby Doo adventure for the advertiser with lots of mystery and surprises.

1 big but missed Q so far, do these big sites display Google ads? They may not be in the network.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes they display Ads . They are on the Display Planner but when I select one to view the inventory for example per device , in the upper side it shows Topics : with no data . Other sites have 2 to 5 topics in that list.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Is this causing you you to have pitching problems with clients or more on the the optimisation process? Personally, I need hardcore, raw data to make my decisions with so if a site suits my market, I'll give it a try and then make my mind up.;

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to know this as a basic configuration problem :

1) If I choose a topic, only sites with that topic assigned in the Display Planner will be eligible for impressions ?

2) Sites with no apparent assigned topic are excluded from all Topic targeting ?

3) Are Topics defined globally by the site owner for all the site pages or does the system match each of the pages with 1 different Topic based on the page content ?

4) If for question 2 the answer is NO, then Sites with no assigned global Topic can still match a sub-page to a Topic by an algorithmic means of selection ?

Here is an example for searching "human resources" in Australia ( as a keyword not as a category found in the Display Planner) :

a) The general results of the search ordered descending by traffic :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kXqO3eH9vJanJxRVBWUlpxeW8/edit?usp=sharing

b) A click on the 2nd ranked site which is anonymous by the way, shows 2 topics :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kXqO3eH9vJQm1hSU95NHBwTzA/edit?usp=sharing

c) A click on the 3rd ranked site , also anonymous, shows NO assigned topics :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kXqO3eH9vJZ3NtLVBJYW0wY28/edit?usp=sharing

(interesting how 90% of that 3rd site traffic is Mobile)

also the 4-th site is anonymous with no topics for the same search.

The same thing I see with non-anonymous placements in my country. They are not very many, but still I would like to know how the Topics work, because right now I feel that I do not understand this very well.