4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase match question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to AdWords and I am attempting to really learn the ins and outs before I jump in.

With Phrase Match, am I making a mistake if I use several keyword phrases in one add? 

If I had both of these in one ad, would their search phrase only need to include ONE of the phrases or both?

"Wedding photography"

"Wedding video"

Someone enters a search within my area of: "Texas wedding photography".  Would my ad show up based on my bid level, or would it automatically NOT show up because they said nothing about video?

What I am asking is, do I need to make two separate ads here?  I also have a few negative keywords.

P.S. I do not see a search function to see if something like this has been asked before.  Am I missing it in an obvious place?  Thanks for the help!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Phrase match question

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi John S E,

Neha gave you a good reason to create separate ad groups for these keywords. If someone searches for wedding video, you would want to show an ad for video, if someone searches for wedding photography, you would want to show and ad for photography.

But that doesn't necessarily answer all of your question, "would it automatically NOT show up because they said nothing about video?" The simple answer is no. Any keyword can trigger an ad within the ad group. You can look at is "wedding photography" OR "wedding video". You can add negative keywords to a group. If a search query matches the negative keyword, your ad won't show. For example, a user enters a query of "wedding photography tips", that person is probably not looking for a service but is looking for DIY advice. You could ad tips as a negative keyword. Then it would be ( "wedding photography" OR "wedding video") AND NOT "wedding photography tips".

Ads within an ad group are not matched to keywords. Any ad in the group can be shown for any keyword, based on your ad rotation settings.

Oh, there's a search box at the top of this page.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi John,

I am glad to know you are learning AdWords before testing it out. Best thing!

To answer your question, yes it is advisable to create two separate adgroup for photography and video.

For Keyword: "wedding photography" in phrase match search term that contains wedding photography in same order in addition to words before and after will trigger. All terms such as wedding photography, wedding photography in texas, texas wedding photography will trigger your ad but for keyword such as wedding video photography, wedding texas photography will not trigger.

Read more on Match types for better understanding: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Let us know for follow up questions! Good luck with learning! Smiley Happy

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi John S E,

Neha gave you a good reason to create separate ad groups for these keywords. If someone searches for wedding video, you would want to show an ad for video, if someone searches for wedding photography, you would want to show and ad for photography.

But that doesn't necessarily answer all of your question, "would it automatically NOT show up because they said nothing about video?" The simple answer is no. Any keyword can trigger an ad within the ad group. You can look at is "wedding photography" OR "wedding video". You can add negative keywords to a group. If a search query matches the negative keyword, your ad won't show. For example, a user enters a query of "wedding photography tips", that person is probably not looking for a service but is looking for DIY advice. You could ad tips as a negative keyword. Then it would be ( "wedding photography" OR "wedding video") AND NOT "wedding photography tips".

Ads within an ad group are not matched to keywords. Any ad in the group can be shown for any keyword, based on your ad rotation settings.

Oh, there's a search box at the top of this page.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords