AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase and Exact match - different results for plural and singular in Keyword tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When using phrase and exact match with singular and plurar match, I get a different  number of searches in the keyword tool. But shouldn't exact and phrase match contain both singular and plural?

E.g.

"iphone review"     has   49.500
"iphone reviews"   has   14.800

[iphone review]  has   3.600

[iphone reviews]     has    4.400

The CPC is also different for singular and plurar. So which one should I take? The one that has a cheaper CPC and hoping Google will match it with the other variation as well or should I take both? 

Re: Phrase and Exact match - different results for plural and singular in Keyword tool

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Use all 4, and keep Checking the Search Terms TAB to see how they perform and which search terms are actually being allocated to the keywords.  (as long as it is allowed, cause i see lost of ads for iPhone , but none for iPhone reviews  ...?)

Re: Phrase and Exact match - different results for plural and singular in Keyword tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

by is this normal to do so? From what I know, Google has added singular, slurar and misspellings to phrase and exact match so people don't need as many keywords anymore.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It is a little difficult, but the update google made is not really crossing the phrase match line.

In general the phrase match will target the exact match of this keyword even if they are part of a phrase, while the misspeling update will take keywords even [exact match] and find it's misspelings etc. which opens the oppurtunity to find more users AND new keywords.

Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, but I still don't understand why Google presents different results for singular and plurar keywords in phrase and exact match (The CPC is different as well):

E.g.

"iphone review"     has   49.500
"iphone reviews"   has   14.800

[iphone review]  has   3.600

[iphone reviews]     has    4.400

This is just very confusing because Google said in April 2012 that exact and phrase match handles both singular and plurar keywords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, the numbers here are the factual how people conducted their search.

What Google said in April, you are probably reffering to the point i've made, that they now capture misspellings etc., and in some cases the plurals, but then it is considered a close variant and may often be more expensive or not really what you wanted.

Hope this clarifies.