AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Phrase Match used with Broad Match Modifier

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Is it possible to use PM and BMM simultaneously to limit the variations of a phrase within a multi-word BMM?

For example: 

I want my ads shown for search queries containing one on one and instructions. Will Google see a difference between using +"one on one" +instructions and +one on one +instructions?

Will using +one on one +instructions still show my ads for searches on 1 on 1 instructions?

Will using +"one on one" +instructions prevent my ads from showing for 1 on 1 instructions?

Kindly advise Smiley Happy

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam S
April 2016

Re: Phrase Match used with Broad Match Modifier

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Sam S

currently you can only use broadmatch and broad match modifier together. For example, blue +metal +widgets.

It would certainly be nice if you could, because I have certainly thought about a few instances where that functionality would be extremely useful.

I'm not 100% certain if one is considered a close variant of 1. I think it is reasonable to assume so, and worth testing.

+one on one +instructions is a mix of broad and bmm.  I think to accomplish what you are after is +one +on +one +instruction.  Your first example has on and one as regular broad match.   That's a  bit long, and I would consider using phrase match by itself here. If you are after 1 on 1 instruction, I would go ahead and include that as well.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam S
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Sam S

currently you can only use broadmatch and broad match modifier together. For example, blue +metal +widgets.

It would certainly be nice if you could, because I have certainly thought about a few instances where that functionality would be extremely useful.

I'm not 100% certain if one is considered a close variant of 1. I think it is reasonable to assume so, and worth testing.

+one on one +instructions is a mix of broad and bmm.  I think to accomplish what you are after is +one +on +one +instruction.  Your first example has on and one as regular broad match.   That's a  bit long, and I would consider using phrase match by itself here. If you are after 1 on 1 instruction, I would go ahead and include that as well.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Sam,

"[one on one]" and ["one on one"] are invalid keyword formats. In contrast, you will be able to list +"one on one" +instructions and +one on one +instructions as valid keywords.

*** Will using +one on one +instructions still show my ads for searches on 1 on 1 instructions?
---- It will

*** Will using +"one on one" +instructions prevent my ads from showing for 1 on 1 instructions?
---- Chances are the system will interpret the speech marks as part of a phrase. Hence it won't prevent the ads from showing because the broad match modifier allows your ad to show for searches that include your broad match keyword or close variations of your broad match keyword.

Quotation marks will most probably be regarded as close variations. However, I don't think there is a "rule" that should govern it. In such "out of the box" cases questions are decided by Google's stats collected over years. I mean when there is no "rule", Google will decide, based on stats, which option is more beneficial to users and Google.

Regards,
Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Lakatos

are you sure about that? It was my understanding that phrase match and bmm could not be combined like that. If so, can you share a source that discusses?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
*** one is considered a close variant of 1

Very good question, David. And a very good example regarding what questions should be decided by Google themselves based on their stats. I recall a dispute years ago where the issue was whether or not some well-known or popular translations could be regarded as broad match. Much depends on stats. And when there is no rule Google looks at what is reasonable.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@David Kyle

Just made a test before posting and added both as 2 valid and different keywords, in my own test campaign.

*** that phrase match and bmm could not be combined like that

That's correct. It will not be a combination of 2 matching options. The quotation marks will be regarded as part of a keyword phrase.

Cheers,

Lakatos

PS: We are unlikely to find a document, because the question is kind of weird.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Well,... My experience:  I agree with @David Kyle;

The "close variant" is an intrinsic option. In other words, it's built into the match type, and cannot be changed.    If you added both match types, the broader match type  would apply.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’