AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Phantom Clicks? Changing Data? Is this typical?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up a test Display ad campaign on Gmail for two days with a small $3 - $4 daily budget and a CPC of $.07-$.11.  As soon as the ad was live, the impressions and clicks were like a Vegas slot machine. I paused the ad after about an hour the first day after the total reached $9 and it blew to $18 over the next 7 hours and over $22 over the entire period.  

The stats for the ad showed a CTR of 100% for about 20 hours (that has since changed to a CTR of 53% after I complained to Google when 250 more impressions suddenly appeared over 12 hours after the ad ended).

Adwords customer service is claiming that, over the course of a handful of hours over two days, my ad was shown to 600 people while checking their email and a whopping 300 of those people clicked to expand my ad while 3-5 of those 299 people actually clicked through to my site. 

Again, I had a CPC of .07-.11.  After three phone calls with Google, I was told I would get further explanation yesterday but so far nothing.

So is a 50%-100% click through rate typical for an Adwords display ad on Gmail? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Michael H

For Gmail ads, you will be charged for opening the ad/ expands rather than click to your site. The metrics of the campaign get updated after some time, it may not be live.

The 50% CTR seems high but the volume of your campaign if not high so can't interpret full picture here. Can you let me know the targeting of your campaign ?

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response.  Targeting was exclusively to mail.google.com in the United States (english speaking) excluding 18-24.  I don't think I applied any other exclusions (parent/non parent or by gender).

CPC .07

Clicks 304

Impressions 582

Cost (before adjustment) 22.23

Gmail Clicks to website: 5

Actual Cost in billing $7.84