AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Phantom Clicks? Changing Data? Is this typical?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up a test Display ad campaign on Gmail for two days with a small $3 - $4 daily budget and a CPC of $.07-$.11.  As soon as the ad was live, the impressions and clicks were like a Vegas slot machine. I paused the ad after about an hour the first day after the total reached $9 and it blew to $18 over the next 7 hours and over $22 over the entire period.  

The stats for the ad showed a CTR of 100% for about 20 hours (that has since changed to a CTR of 53% after I complained to Google when 250 more impressions suddenly appeared over 12 hours after the ad ended).

Adwords customer service is claiming that, over the course of a handful of hours over two days, my ad was shown to 600 people while checking their email and a whopping 300 of those people clicked to expand my ad while 3-5 of those 299 people actually clicked through to my site. 

Again, I had a CPC of .07-.11.  After three phone calls with Google, I was told I would get further explanation yesterday but so far nothing.

So is a 50%-100% click through rate typical for an Adwords display ad on Gmail? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Michael H

For Gmail ads, you will be charged for opening the ad/ expands rather than click to your site. The metrics of the campaign get updated after some time, it may not be live.

The 50% CTR seems high but the volume of your campaign if not high so can't interpret full picture here. Can you let me know the targeting of your campaign ?

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response.  Targeting was exclusively to mail.google.com in the United States (english speaking) excluding 18-24.  I don't think I applied any other exclusions (parent/non parent or by gender).

CPC .07

Clicks 304

Impressions 582

Cost (before adjustment) 22.23

Gmail Clicks to website: 5

Actual Cost in billing $7.84