AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Performing ads are now not performing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have several ads in a particular ad group that are suddenly under performing - comparing these past two weeks to the previous period (11/1-11/16 vs 10/1-10/16), I'm seeing a large drop off in conversions and impressions. No changes have been made to that ad group since the beginning of the previous month. All the ads are currently approved, and the current bidding strategy for that ad group is Target CPA. 

I'm a bit lost on what would cause this change - if anyone has any thoughts on how to look into this, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

There are a couple of things to look at:

Check the quality scores - if those dropped as well then you should try newer versions of your ads.

How are your bids? They may need to be increased, or you could try another automated bidding strategy (such as ROAS 100%, but it takes time to learn). 

Check your Auction Insights report to see if you are losing impressions to competitors. If so, then that usually requires higher bids or you can use the bid strategy "Target Outranking Share".

Check the search terms report to see if there are any keywords you can exclude to drive the correct traffic. 

Also, the holiday season is here so that may have an effect on your audience's search and purchase behavior. 

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

What ad rotation settings are you using? Unless you use "rotate indefinitely", if you have multiple ads in an adgroup, you can't control which ad(s) is/are actually showing. Google could be showing your worst performing ad in terms of conversions, because the ad rotation is favoring clicks. If you are using optimize for conversions, your best converting ad may be a lower volume ad (Perhaps Google dinged the QS for that ad, and your overall adrank declined, causing fewer impressions.).

Is the issue with the/an ad, or the overall performance of the adgroup?

Tom

Re: Performing ads are now not performing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Interesting! That campaign is set to Optimize for Conversions, but after looking at the ads served, the performing ads that were the highest % served from last month are now the least % served. This particular ad group had a lot of non-performing ads, so I've paused a bunch.

Not sure what caused this change, in terms of the drop in % served for the ads. Thank you for directing me to this.

Re: Performing ads are now not performing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Dean! The quality score for some of the keywords were low, so I've created some new ads. Will look into the other tips that you mentioned.

Much appreciated!