AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Performance Advice

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Is it better to have high impressions with low CTR or low impressions with high CTR?

One ad I'm running has 64 impressions with 1 click and a 1.56% CTR 

Another ad has 1,957 impressions, 10 clicks and a .51% CTR 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Performance Advice

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

If these two ads are in the same ad group, and don't have any conversion data, then my suggestion would be to pause the ad with the lower CTR.  You can then create a new ad variation to try to obtain a better CTR, similar to your other ad that has less impressions. 

Just check that your lower impression ad is "Approved" before doing anything though, as a limited approval could be the reason for the low impression count. If it's fully "Approved" then the lack of impressions could be due to you including this ad after the other one, or alternatively it might be down to your ad delivery settings. 

Either way, you want to be aiming for a higher CTR.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Performance Advice

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

You definitely need to more evenly rotate these ads to actually know which one has the highest CTR. With an equal number of impressions, over the same time frame, the CTR's may go the other way around. Like @ScottyD mentioned - Yes, improving CTR should be a goal of ad testing. But, you have to have a "clean" data set to make any educated optimizations.

Tom