AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Paying for clicks with keywords that have nothing to do with my business!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just signed up for AdWords two days ago, and the very next morning received an email from google explaining they could help me set it up free of charge.   Not knowing there was any difference between AdWords and AdWords Express, and with no explanation offered from the rep (just a "check these email links" AFTER we set up our first campaign), I was set up through AW Express.  I am now receiving clicks on my advertisement that I am paying for with people using key words that have nothing to do with my business, and apparently, through AW Express, cannot change those key words.

If Google is in charge of managing these key words, how do I go about getting them changed?  Over 50 percent of the clicks I have been charged for over the past two days are because of keywords that have NOTHING to do with my business. I need this changed ASAP.

Thanks,
-M

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Hi there,   In that post reference as per the notes:   To...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there,

In that post reference as per the notes:

To get started with AdWords Express, you’ll set up a monthly ad budget, and based on the business category that you choose, we’ll come up with a list of search keywords that will trigger your ad. No ongoing management is needed, and you pay only for clicks that your ad actually receives.

It clearly states that you will not have much of the control over the keywords because based on your category, Google will target the audiences automatically.

In order to have full control over your keywords, ads, their maintenance etc, I would strongly encourage you to go for regular Google Adwords. You can start learning about this here.

And in case you need more clarification about Adwords Express, you can refer to that particular help center.

Happy Reading!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Hi FurReal,   I am assuming that your account is set up f...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi FurReal,

I am assuming that your account is set up for Adwords Express and not the regular Google Adwords. Could you please refer to this particular article and let us know if this is the case. (Please correct me if I am wrong in understanding here.)

Hope that helps in some way!

Pankaj

Yes. It is set up for Express...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I clicked the link you gave me and saw this portion as relevant:

With AdWords Express, you have full control of the category that you choose for your business. Based on the category that you select, a list of relevant keywords is added to your account. If your AdWords Express category or keywords aren't a good fit, we’ve outlined some tips below to help you get the most out of your account.

HOWEVER, the link doesn't lead to anything!  So, again, any help in finding out how to edit or get rid of key words google has suggested for me in Adwords EXPRESS that have no relevance to my business would be greatly appreciated.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Hi there,   In that post reference as per the notes:   To...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there,

In that post reference as per the notes:

To get started with AdWords Express, you’ll set up a monthly ad budget, and based on the business category that you choose, we’ll come up with a list of search keywords that will trigger your ad. No ongoing management is needed, and you pay only for clicks that your ad actually receives.

It clearly states that you will not have much of the control over the keywords because based on your category, Google will target the audiences automatically.

In order to have full control over your keywords, ads, their maintenance etc, I would strongly encourage you to go for regular Google Adwords. You can start learning about this here.

And in case you need more clarification about Adwords Express, you can refer to that particular help center.

Happy Reading!

Pankaj

I now understand that I have no control over my keywords...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I now understand that I have no control over my keywords (which I think is something google really needs to consider changing here--it's not that difficult to manage).  I REALLY wish the Google rep would have explained the differences between the two.  As I told her, I was already in the midst of setting up a standard AdWords account.  I had no idea when she steered me towards Express that it was a separate, cut down version of what I had signed up for from the get-go (standard AdWords).

Guess I will be starting a thread on how to get rid of the Express account without it affecting what I have already put into motion....

Thanks helping out.

Hi FurReal,   Honestly, I would advice you to contact Adw...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi FurReal,

Honestly, I would advice you to contact Adwords support for the best solution because you want to cancel your Adwords Express and want to go with regular Google Adwords. Hopefully Adwords support will be the best way to talk with and resolve this matter ASAP.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj