AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Pay per click average is way higher than I've set it to be?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually it's not for MY ad, but the owner of the school I go to.  He set his ads up to be no more than 50-70 cents per click, and now it's showing that his average cost per click is close to 3 dollars!  We are a bit confused. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pay per click average is way higher than I've set it to be?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,
Have you reviewed the bidding settings? Is enhance CPC enabled? Is there any bid adjustment?
A bid adjustments could be increasing the bid for a keyword, time of the day, device... and the enhance CPC is enable, it could be raising your bid up to 30% (after applying those bid adjustments).

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Boofle75,

As Veronica pointed out it could be a modifier.

I recommend you search on the dimensions tab - campaign details section. This should give you an overview of your campaigns and any bid modifiers that are active. Make sure you also check the bidding method - for example cpc and not a bidding strategy such as target page location or target cpa.

I would also recommend checking any ad group bids vs keyword level bids. It may be a minor mistake that the ad group bids are set at 50-70 cents but the kw itself has another, higher bid.

As a caveat, if you have conversion tracking set up- don't just dismiss 3$ a acpc, check to see if these are in line with your conversion goals and if it is sustainable / profitable. Reducing a bid may afterall slow down the success of your campaigns.

Good luck

James

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Boofie75,

Also check the mobile devices bid adjustment under the settings tab. Is the campaign mobile bid adjustment +300% ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for all of your advice!  I will forward it to my teacher and see if he understands this.  I appreaciate the input!