AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Pay per click average is way higher than I've set it to be?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually it's not for MY ad, but the owner of the school I go to.  He set his ads up to be no more than 50-70 cents per click, and now it's showing that his average cost per click is close to 3 dollars!  We are a bit confused. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pay per click average is way higher than I've set it to be?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,
Have you reviewed the bidding settings? Is enhance CPC enabled? Is there any bid adjustment?
A bid adjustments could be increasing the bid for a keyword, time of the day, device... and the enhance CPC is enable, it could be raising your bid up to 30% (after applying those bid adjustments).

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Boofle75,

As Veronica pointed out it could be a modifier.

I recommend you search on the dimensions tab - campaign details section. This should give you an overview of your campaigns and any bid modifiers that are active. Make sure you also check the bidding method - for example cpc and not a bidding strategy such as target page location or target cpa.

I would also recommend checking any ad group bids vs keyword level bids. It may be a minor mistake that the ad group bids are set at 50-70 cents but the kw itself has another, higher bid.

As a caveat, if you have conversion tracking set up- don't just dismiss 3$ a acpc, check to see if these are in line with your conversion goals and if it is sustainable / profitable. Reducing a bid may afterall slow down the success of your campaigns.

Good luck

James

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Boofie75,

Also check the mobile devices bid adjustment under the settings tab. Is the campaign mobile bid adjustment +300% ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for all of your advice!  I will forward it to my teacher and see if he understands this.  I appreaciate the input!