4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Pausing vs Removing keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the difference between Pausing vs Removing a non performing keyword. If a QS is 1 or 2 should I pause them or remove them. If I remove them, is there a place that I still have a compiled list of Keywords tried so I don't keep adding a bad one back or do I have to just manually maintain that list of tried keywords?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Pausing vs Removing keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
HI Cary H,

Nothing is ever really deleted. You just need to change the view to see the deleted keywords. There's a little drop down menu in the upper left part of the report. Click on that and select "All".

If you think you may use the keyword again in the future, pause it. If you think you will never use the keyword again, delete it. It makes no difference to the system. Both paused and deleted keywords are considered when evaluating an account for QS until they drop out of the window for current results. I don't know how long in days or months that is.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cary,

Pausing means you don't want to show your ad for a keyword(s) for the time being due to its poor performance and may want to try it sometime later with different approach to make it perform. Deleting/Removing simply means you don't want to advertise on it as it has not performed for you in the past or have very poor QS.

Keywords with QS 1 or 2 should be removed from the account. Before removing do try to optimize to improve the QS and give it some time. If the QS doesn't improve you can simply delete them. You can always find your deleted/removed keywords by selecting "All" option at Keyword, Ad Group and Campaign level (as shown below). When you select this option you will see your deleted keywords.

all.png

Hope it helps.

Ashish

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete for clearing my doubt on whether deleted keywords are considered for evaluating the account's QS or not. Would definitely want to know the window when such keywords are dropped out and no longer considered in evaluating QS.

Regards,
Ashish

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ashish