AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Pass custom parameter or identify when referrer is from an AdWords click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. We have a campaign in AdWords and I would like to show a custom message on the target landing page when the referrer is a click from our AdWords ad i.e.invite them to create a customer account. When I try to look at referral path in analytics for the cpc ads I see "not set". and when I look at the url for the ad in the search results page on Google.com I see many parameters and values but not sure what is the constant that might be used to identify it.

Thanks for your assistance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BurtAtWork
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

For custom messages, you can use a landing page service like UnBounce that has a way of doing it. It is not difficult, and consists of appending the final URL with the words you wish to use, and some javascript on the landing page.

In Google Analytics, if you have linked it to your AdWords account, all AdWords visitors should be shown as google / cpc and also have data in the AdWords section. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BurtAtWork
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

For custom messages, you can use a landing page service like UnBounce that has a way of doing it. It is not difficult, and consists of appending the final URL with the words you wish to use, and some javascript on the landing page.

In Google Analytics, if you have linked it to your AdWords account, all AdWords visitors should be shown as google / cpc and also have data in the AdWords section. 

Re: Pass custom parameter or identify when referrer is from an AdWords click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I just tested adding a simple key=value to the destination url and was able to get that value to show a custom div. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.